I Left the Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 313779
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

I Left the Law

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:56 pm

Today I did what I didn't think I'd ever do, and gave my 2 weeks notice to my comfortable firm job.

I'm returning back to my previous career. I joined law school on what I see now was a questionable decision for intellectual fulfillment, a decent paycheck and a steady job.

Despite how often I thought it was for me, I had good days and many tolerable days, I knew looking 10 years into the future I would just end up being yet another person who came onto these boards to groan about how much they hate their job.

I didn't love my old career with a fiery passion, but I could never see myself hating it and I wasn't taking a huge pay cut even if noticeable.

Its tough for me to essentially throw away my years of training in school and work, maybe I come back maybe I don't, but I felt it was unquestionably the best decision for me. I know many of my colleagues who kill it at their jobs and find happiness. I just couldn't. I'm also aware not everyone is 'happy' at their job, sometimes its just work. But at my previous job I wouldn't be dreadful.

I wanted to thank a lot of the regular posters here, for the dozens of pages of advice I've read over the years. Yall made my time in the law bearable just to know there were others out there thinking the same things.

nick417

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 am

Re: I Left the Law

Postby nick417 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:05 pm

I congratulate you on getting out of a job/profession you dislike. Our lives are too short to spend large portions doing something we hate.

You don't have to answer this.... instead, people thinking about law school really need to decide/know that this profession is right for them. I am not saying you didn't know this, but it sounds like you didn't realize what you were getting into. My firm has lost multiple first-year associates this year; the reason kind of mirrors yours reasons. Thus pre-law folks really should ponder their decision to go to law school.

User avatar
encore1101

Silver
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 am

Re: I Left the Law

Postby encore1101 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:15 pm

nick417 wrote:I congratulate you on getting out of a job/profession you dislike. Our lives are too short to spend large portions doing something we hate.

You don't have to answer this.... instead, people thinking about law school really need to decide/know that this profession is right for them. I am not saying you didn't know this, but it sounds like you didn't realize what you were getting into. My firm has lost multiple first-year associates this year; the reason kind of mirrors yours reasons. Thus pre-law folks really should ponder their decision to go to law school.



Unfortunately, it's hard to get a good grasp of what being a lawyer is like (especially when being a lawyer can differ greatly depending on what kind of law you practice) before going to law school.

nick417

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 am

Re: I Left the Law

Postby nick417 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:26 pm

encore1101 wrote:
nick417 wrote:I congratulate you on getting out of a job/profession you dislike. Our lives are too short to spend large portions doing something we hate.

You don't have to answer this.... instead, people thinking about law school really need to decide/know that this profession is right for them. I am not saying you didn't know this, but it sounds like you didn't realize what you were getting into. My firm has lost multiple first-year associates this year; the reason kind of mirrors yours reasons. Thus pre-law folks really should ponder their decision to go to law school.



Unfortunately, it's hard to get a good grasp of what being a lawyer is like (especially when being a lawyer can differ greatly depending on what kind of law you practice) before going to law school.


Excellent point.

I spent time as a paralegal before law school and kind saw what litigators actually do (and the horrors of discovery and tedious research and other mind-numbing tasks that get to be done). That experience helped me and I was able to predict how being an attorney is like. And now as an attorney, it is kind of how I expected.

Besides being a paralegal, not sure there is really another way to fully grasp what being a lawyer is like.

User avatar
los blancos

Platinum
Posts: 8395
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: I Left the Law

Postby los blancos » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:42 pm

Mind telling us what you're going back to, OP?

User avatar
stego

Platinum
Posts: 5302
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:23 am

Re: I Left the Law

Postby stego » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:12 pm

los blancos wrote:Mind telling us what you're going back to, OP?

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: I Left the Law

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:20 pm

stego wrote:
los blancos wrote:Mind telling us what you're going back to, OP?

You're still a 0L, stego.

User avatar
Br3v

Gold
Posts: 4272
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: I Left the Law

Postby Br3v » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:57 pm

los blancos wrote:Mind telling us what you're going back to, OP?

Lesion of Doom

New
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:22 am

Re: I Left the Law

Postby Lesion of Doom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:39 pm

Props to you, OP. Best wishes.

I burned down my prior career to attend law school as well, but for me there's no going back.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.