When is "too late" to book a callback? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When is "too late" to book a callback?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Obviously market dependent, but curious about all major markets (NYC, LA, Chi, DC) and Texas.

I'm approaching it as trying to get in any time in august. Saw someone post that anytime after next week was too late for NYC, so now worried.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: When is "too late" to book a callback?

Post by runinthefront » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Don't be worried!

You should schedule your callback as early as you possibly can. If the firm has no available dates for a week or so, that's out of your control. If you have a family emergency that you need to attend to, that's really out your control, too. You just want to make sure you're scheduling the callback for as early as you realistically can, as most firms give rolling offers (e.g., the amount of offers being extended may shrink over time). That being said, there's literally no magic date or week where firms suddenly stop giving out offers. You're fine.

You should just focus on relaxing and preparing for the callback.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Obviously market dependent, but curious about all major markets (NYC, LA, Chi, DC) and Texas.

I'm approaching it as trying to get in any time in august. Saw someone post that anytime after next week was too late for NYC, so now worried.
I had Hogan NY recruiter tell me they are trying to give out all by end of next week. Essentially because I can't make either of their 'super days' next week I'm SOL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Obviously market dependent, but curious about all major markets (NYC, LA, Chi, DC) and Texas.

I had Hogan NY recruiter tell me they are trying to give out all by end of next week. Essentially because I can't make either of their 'super days' next week I'm SOL.
What?!? I spoke with the Hogan NY recruiter earlier today. She told me about the super days but didn't mention this seemingly critical detail. This is concerning. I have callbacks all next week with other firms. Should I be rescheduling/trying to do two callbacks in one day?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Anybody have non-NY advice on this? For whatever reason LA firms got back to me much quicker, so I have essentially a week of CBs down there, and am looking at the week of the 28th for more. Should I consider creative changes to try to get earlier Bay Area CB slots?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:07 pm

At my DC office there was the impression that we were losing good candidates because we were too slow in giving out offers. So this year we are pushing hard to give out offers within 1-2 days of the callback. Given how few slots we have for summers, I suspect there is a significant advantage to doing an early callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At my DC office there was the impression that we were losing good candidates because we were too slow in giving out offers. So this year we are pushing hard to give out offers within 1-2 days of the callback. Given how few slots we have for summers, I suspect there is a significant advantage to doing an early callback.
My firm in DC is already finished. Small class as well, got most of it from pre-oci offers and the first few callbacks led to the final offers.

Schedule early. Do double callbacks on a single day, especially if you are targeting non-nyc where classes are much smaller.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:25 pm

Wow. What. The earliest I could get to NYC for my interview was the 22. So I'm screwed??
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Yeah, I really hope the above opinions are mistaken. I got two NY CBs earlier this week and wasn't able to schedule them until the week of the 21st. Seems crazy to me that all offers could already be gone by then, especially considering the number of T14s that had OCI's this week

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I really hope the above opinions are mistaken. I got two NY CBs earlier this week and wasn't able to schedule them until the week of the 21st. Seems crazy to me that all offers could already be gone by then, especially considering the number of T14s that had OCI's this week
Poster from above who's DC office is already done. The problem is the pre-oci process is so robust now from the past few years. My firm has pretty much extensively moved to pre-oci callbacks and offers. NYC will be differently slightly because the larger classes, but yeah. I imagine NYC will take longer because of larger classes.

But the people who were categorically declaring the pre-oci necessity of applying in July, at least in DC, are completely correct now that my firm and others I know friends at are course correcting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:56 pm

The previous discussion seems a bit alarmist, and you shouldn't be reading into it too much this early in the process. There might be firms that are done, and there might be firms who want to finalize their summer class in the next week, but the interviewing process for big firms, even in big markets like NYC, will be an on-going effort until they reach the numbers they want. And some markets move noticeably slower.

Book your CBs as soon as you reasonably can, but if you're doing a CB in August, you haven't lost all opportunities. You might miss on one firm for that litany of reasons, but the reason you were given a CB is because they are still legitimately considering you for employment. Only worry about what you can control, which is being a presentable, personable, driven person they'd want to hire if spots are available.

Try not to let this process destroy you, because it's stressful and there is a lot of doubt surrounding it, but all you can do is be proactive and set up your interview schedule as early as possible while working within your own schedule. If you have to be in meetings for law review for three days (for example), you can't control that, and don't worry about that. Just schedule it where it fits in your schedule.

You can consider scheduling markets that move slower later in the cycle, if that applies to you, but if you really want to be in those markets, you should also be showing particular interest in meeting with them early. Every situation is different.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:07 pm

The people who are saying DC is like already done... what types of firms are we talking about? Because for clarity I'm pretty sure the tippy top of DC didn't do pre-oci offers (or many of them) ... like Williams and Connolly, Wilmer, Covington, boies Schiller, Gibson Dunn, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The previous discussion seems a bit alarmist, and you shouldn't be reading into it too much this early in the process. There might be firms that are done, and there might be firms who want to finalize their summer class in the next week, but the interviewing process for big firms, even in big markets like NYC, will be an on-going effort until they reach the numbers they want. And some markets move noticeably slower.

Book your CBs as soon as you reasonably can, but if you're doing a CB in August, you haven't lost all opportunities. You might miss on one firm for that litany of reasons, but the reason you were given a CB is because they are still legitimately considering you for employment. Only worry about what you can control, which is being a presentable, personable, driven person they'd want to hire if spots are available.

Try not to let this process destroy you, because it's stressful and there is a lot of doubt surrounding it, but all you can do is be proactive and set up your interview schedule as early as possible while working within your own schedule. If you have to be in meetings for law review for three days (for example), you can't control that, and don't worry about that. Just schedule it where it fits in your schedule.

You can consider scheduling markets that move slower later in the cycle, if that applies to you, but if you really want to be in those markets, you should also be showing particular interest in meeting with them early. Every situation is different.
I needed to hear this, thank you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The people who are saying DC is like already done... what types of firms are we talking about? Because for clarity I'm pretty sure the tippy top of DC didn't do pre-oci offers (or many of them) ... like Williams and Connolly, Wilmer, Covington, boies Schiller, Gibson Dunn, etc.
Gibson, Kirkland, Davis Polk, Latham, and more do pre-oci in DC. Sure WC and Wilmer doesn't, but the vast majority of places do, including some top shops.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The previous discussion seems a bit alarmist, and you shouldn't be reading into it too much this early in the process. There might be firms that are done, and there might be firms who want to finalize their summer class in the next week, but the interviewing process for big firms, even in big markets like NYC, will be an on-going effort until they reach the numbers they want. And some markets move noticeably slower.

I needed to hear this, thank you.
Quoted. You can do this. You've gotten CBs. The process isn't finished, and you have to impress more before this race is finished, but you've done it right so far. We all tend to read tea leaves because different firms move/decide differently. I was personally shocked by firms that asked me for a CB because the screener was decidedly meh by my own gauge. You can't worry about that in the least. Just continue pressing until you have an offer you want. At that point you can potentially play with house money because you'll have an offer you're happy to accept.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:53 am

One of the DC anons here. Don't stress about it; there are still plenty of openings left. But do your callbacks as quickly as you reasonably can.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”