Job at unwanted location

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Job at unwanted location

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi,

I got a cb from SD but I want to remain in OC/LA.
Is it worth going to cb interview when I dont intend to live in SD?
I only have 2 CBs including this SD one. Am I not in the position to pick and choose?

Thanks.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Re: Job at unwanted location

Postby Damage Over Time » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:47 pm

What is your plan if you do not get an offer from either callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:57 pm

As someone without any CBs, this question makes me sick.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:59 pm

You are not in a position to pick and choose

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Postby unlicensedpotato » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Holy shit

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Questions like this are absurd as fuck.

But in the spirit of being helpful ...

You take the CB and if your only offer is from this firm in SD you take it. Then when you actually have a fucking job you can determine whether you want you want to try and do 3L OCI in LA/OC or lateral to LA/OC later.

Of course if you have a SO who has a job in LA and is unwilling to move or whatever, sure, it actually becomes a tough decision. But you didn't give a reason other than you want to be in LA/OC instead of SD.

clshopeful

Bronze

Postby clshopeful » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:13 pm

''I don't want to work 2 hours away from my desired location, so I'll cancel the potential 180k job offer''

I get the reaction to the OP, but don't use anon for this kind of comment.

TTTTescapee

New

Postby TTTTescapee » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:''I don't want to work 2 hours away from my desired location, so I'll cancel the potential 180k job offer''

In a nicer location. I don't like CA but SD sounds a lot nicer than the LA area.
ditto to above

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Anon here.
My apologies; didnt mean to offend or sound arrogant.
It is not 180K firm; it is a small firm (which is why I was hesitant and my family/SO is in La/Oc)
But some of responses helped. I am definitely going to try my best in getting this offer. I already booked my stays.
I just thought I may have chances elsewhere after OCI (Fall or Spring Interview week or something like that). Clearly I was wrong. I also didnt want to be seem as someone with SD ties when I would eventually want to lateral into La/Oc firms.
I guess it is a nonsense for me to think about the future when I should need to devote all for this SD cb.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Okay that makes more sense now. We needed that info in the original post. I still think you need to focus on getting the job first and work things out later

Also you (and I) keep saying LA/OC but it can make a big difference whether your SO is in LA or OC if you get the SD job. In theory at least if your SO is in OC maybe you can get a place in like, San Clemente or whatever, where you both have a semi-crappy commute until you can find a job in OC but can at least reasonably live together. Not really possible if one of you is in LA and the other SD.

Pleasye

Platinum

Postby Pleasye » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anon here.
My apologies; didnt mean to offend or sound arrogant.
It is not 180K firm; it is a small firm (which is why I was hesitant and my family/SO is in La/Oc)
But some of responses helped. I am definitely going to try my best in getting this offer. I already booked my stays.
I just thought I may have chances elsewhere after OCI (Fall or Spring Interview week or something like that). Clearly I was wrong. I also didnt want to be seem as someone with SD ties when I would eventually want to lateral into La/Oc firms.
I guess it is a nonsense for me to think about the future when I should need to devote all for this SD cb.

If you get the SD offer and no other offers, you can continue to search for other jobs and renege on the SD offer if you get something else. It's okay to have a preference for location, especially when your entire life is in that location, but don't shoot yourself in the foot early on. Go to the callback and keep mass mailing/applying to other jobs. Good luck OP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:53 pm

What San Diego firm is it?

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What San Diego firm is it?

as stated, "a small firm," and they definitely should not out it

considering you are anonymously requesting they out the firm, you should understand
Last edited by JenDarby on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Removed

Postby kellyfrost » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 pm

Removed post...

Return to “Legal Employment�