Laid off associates

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
grash

New

Laid off associates

Postby grash » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:23 pm

If this is you, come on in and keep me company. I need someone to chat with to make sure I don't go nuts, and also to keep me accountable.

Context: I'm a third year securities guy who has about a month left on my website. I've had/have interviews but nothing that's panned out. I've applied to everything in the securities space and a lot outside of it. Thankfully my savings are in good shape because I saw the layoff coming from a mile away, but I really need something to hit soon.

Anonymous User

Re: Laid off associates

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 pm

Get on your career services portal and find alums to reach out to. At this point you need some help through networking.

This should go without saying but also look at small firms. They tend to have less stringent HR practices and are less likely to notice if you're no longer on the firm website.

May I ask why you saw the layoff coming from a mile away..?

grash

New

Postby grash » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Work was crazy slow at my firm and a decent number of us got whacked. I've been applying to a ton of small firms. I honestly loathed my big law experience, and am actively looking for something different.

Damage Over Time

Silver

Postby Damage Over Time » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Mind sharing what market (or range of markets) you're in?

Good luck out there.

grash

New

Postby grash » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:03 pm

I've got ties up and down the east coast, and am looking at anywhere between CT and NC, inclusive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Fourth year corporate associate who got the talk around when you did and has about a month left on the website. Just got my first offer at another firm and have some in-house opportunities I'm waiting to hear from/doing last rounds with.

In my opinion, as annoying as they are, recruiters can help you get interviews by applying firstly/using their contacts at firms/in-house positions, help you with messaging, etc. if you haven't been using a recruiter or two, I'd recommend thinking about some, can PM you some recommendations for NYC if you're interested.

grash

New

Postby grash » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fourth year corporate associate who got the talk around when you did and has about a month left on the website. Just got my first offer at another firm and have some in-house opportunities I'm waiting to hear from/doing last rounds with.

In my opinion, as annoying as they are, recruiters can help you get interviews by applying firstly/using their contacts at firms/in-house positions, help you with messaging, etc. if you haven't been using a recruiter or two, I'd recommend thinking about some, can PM you some recommendations for NYC if you're interested.

I've talked with a couple recruiters I trust, and they've told me that in my situation it makes a lot of sense to go it alone, since the recruiting fee makes me slightly less attractive and I have the time to search out opportunities. I'm also worried that with 1 month left on the website, it's a little late to start throwing in apps with a recruiter.

OutCold

Bronze

Postby OutCold » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:35 am

Can't you use a recruiter and also keep applying on your own? I'm ignorant as to how it works, but that seems like the best way to go given your dwindling time on the website.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:39 am

grash wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fourth year corporate associate who got the talk around when you did and has about a month left on the website. Just got my first offer at another firm and have some in-house opportunities I'm waiting to hear from/doing last rounds with.

I've talked with a couple recruiters I trust, and they've told me that in my situation it makes a lot of sense to go it alone, since the recruiting fee makes me slightly less attractive and I have the time to search out opportunities. I'm also worried that with 1 month left on the website, it's a little late to start throwing in apps with a recruiter.

I would try to ask for more time on the website. Try to be sympathetic. Some firms will give it to you.

1 month time isn't too late. I've gotten an offer from a regional biglaw firms in 2 weeks. I've gotten an offer inhouse after 3 weeks. So it is definitely possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:27 pm

OutCold wrote:Can't you use a recruiter and also keep applying on your own? I'm ignorant as to how it works, but that seems like the best way to go given your dwindling time on the website.

You can use a recruiter and also apply on your own, but you have to make sure you are using a reputable recruiter. Meaning a recruiter that will only submit your materials to a firm once they have your approval. Good recruiters will check with top/relevant firms even if they don't have openings posted, so they might be helpful there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
grash wrote:

I would try to ask for more time on the website. Try to be sympathetic. Some firms will give it to you.

It depends on the firm, but many are willing to extend website time if you make it clear that you are working hard to find something new and that you think you have some good prospects (but just need a little more time to get the offer). Be sure to keep your firm updated and start preparing them for the idea you might need more time. You don't want to wait until the week before you get taken off the website. A lot of time the HR person can make these decisions and they will be sympathetic if you are nice to them and they know you are really trying.

Ideally you will stay on the website all the way through conflicts check, after which is when a person normally gives notice to their current firm. At least one person on this forum previously claimed they lost an offer because they were taken off the website during the conflicts check stage.

grash

New

Postby grash » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OutCold wrote:Can't you use a recruiter and also keep applying on your own? I'm ignorant as to how it works, but that seems like the best way to go given your dwindling time on the website.

You can use a recruiter and also apply on your own, but you have to make sure you are using a reputable recruiter. Meaning a recruiter that will only submit your materials to a firm once they have your approval. Good recruiters will check with top/relevant firms even if they don't have openings posted, so they might be helpful there.

Yeah, I've thought about using a recruiter who would market my materials without being spammy, but honestly, I haven't talked to a recruiter yet who I really wanted to work with. Most of them have put me off for some reason (e.g. don't understand my specialty and what I'm looking for, or don't seem particularly interested in investing time into my search), and I don't want to deal with someone who's wasting my time.

re: additional website time, I'm in discussions with my firm. I've got something like 5 interviews next week (and am hoping to squeeze in one or two more), so hopefully one of these is the one. Job hunting has seriously hurt my soul.

Return to “Legal Employment�