Mass-mailing Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass-mailing Question

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:05 pm

So I'm sending in cold apps because i did not get many callbacks. Do I apply on the firm website or do the whole "mass mail" email thing?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Mass-mailing Question

Postby UVA2B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:13 pm

1. Go to NALP, find the recruiting contact for the firm
2. Generate the required documents for an application
3. Create a mail merge based on all the firms you're applying for based on all of the contacts/relevant info you need for a good cover letter, etc.
4. Send off materials to every firm you want to apply.
5. Be ready to apply through an online portal if the firm uses an online portal for all application materials, and also be immediately ready to provide additional materials they'll require for interviewing materials.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:21 pm

What is a mail merge? For email, do I past the cover letter into the body?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is a mail merge? For email, do I past the cover letter into the body?

There is varying opinion on a cover letter in an email body, but I prefer having a formatted cover letter in Word.

Mail merge is a tool you can use in Word to create a reproducible document where relevant inputs are automatically changed based on an Excel doc. So, for instance, you can create an Excel file with every firm you're applying for, and you can populate the Excel doc with relevant information that will be automatically populated in something like a cover letter without manually changing every address, salutation, and reference to the firm. It'll save you a ton of time.

Return to “Legal Employment�