Chicago without ties

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chicago without ties

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm at a TT in New York. Do I have any shot at a big firm in Chicago without ties? or is it like New York where ties don't matter?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Chicago without ties

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Probably will be tough, especially if you don't have any interviews lined up at this point. Chicago firms generally care about ties or at least a desire to remain here. The bigger issue, however, is that Chicago firms tend to skew towards the Chicago schools, Indiana, u of I, washU, and notre dame when they reach outside of the t14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:52 pm

Ah, understood. Thanks. Would you say that it's not unheard of and that I should still apply, or am I just wasting my time?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ah, understood. Thanks. Would you say that it's not unheard of and that I should still apply, or am I just wasting my time?

There's no such thing as a waste of time when applying for jobs. Apply with the best materials you can put together, and hope that you beat the odds.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ah, understood. Thanks. Would you say that it's not unheard of and that I should still apply, or am I just wasting my time?

Don't think waste of time. Only takes one to hit. I'd have a compelling reason for why Chicago in first paragraph of cover letter.

That said, your time would be better spent mailing ny firms.

(This all presumes you have top grades from your school)

Return to “Legal Employment�