Timeline for offers? How long is realistic?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Timeline for offers? How long is realistic?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:44 pm

I know there's no definite answer to my situation, but I'd appreciate some thoughts.

I had an interview at a small firm. Went well. Got a call back for a 2nd, & that went well too as far as I know. I neglected to ask for a timeline as to when I'd hear back (obviously 100% my fault).

It's been radio silence. I sent a follow up e-mail 3 weeks after the second interview asking for an update, if possible. No response from that e-mail (been over two weeks), and it goes w/o saying I'm uncomfortable sending another e-mail....

As far as I know, the firm hasn't hired anyone. I understand these things can take a while, but given the amount of time that's passed is it fair to say I am no longer being considered?

estefanchanning

Bronze

Re: Timeline for offers? How long is realistic?

Postby estefanchanning » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:53 pm

I would call and try to get in contact with the recruiter. I don't think it's out of the norm to ask for an update after 2-3 weeks.

With that said, it's likely that you're in the "maybe" pile. I.e., they're waiting to see if something better comes along.

lolwat

Silver

Re: Timeline for offers? How long is realistic?

Postby lolwat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:59 pm

"Small firm" -- depends on the firm.

I don't think i've ever really had luck following up AFTER an interview, though... those always turned into dings. Or in at least one case they just literally never responded and I took the hint eventually.

So I'm not sure how much it'd help but I don't think it'd be out of the ordinary to check in once every few weeks.

Return to “Legal Employment�