District Attorney's Offices 2018 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: District Attorney's Offices 2018

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:16 pm

encore1101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are background checks like for the NYC offices to become an ADA? Somewhere between intern checks and the FBI intensive checks?
Curious about this...
IMHO the background check and application for character and fitness was tougher.

DA offices just have you go get fingerprinted and self disclose any convictions, provide employment history, etc. No drug test even.

I'd be surprised if the DA's office doesn't run your rap sheet to verify your convictions/arrests (or lack thereof). My office also interviewed my neighbors about me.
Did they speak with your neighbors before you started in the fall--i.e. during the summer? Also, did they ever notify you that the background check was complete or is it just a no news is good news type of situation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Sooo...anyone hear from the Bronx DA on paperwork?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:46 pm

Anyone hear from Cook County yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sooo...anyone hear from the Bronx DA on paperwork?
Radio silence still on my end. You aren't alone...

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
encore1101 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are background checks like for the NYC offices to become an ADA? Somewhere between intern checks and the FBI intensive checks?
Curious about this...
IMHO the background check and application for character and fitness was tougher.

DA offices just have you go get fingerprinted and self disclose any convictions, provide employment history, etc. No drug test even.

I'd be surprised if the DA's office doesn't run your rap sheet to verify your convictions/arrests (or lack thereof). My office also interviewed my neighbors about me.
Did they speak with your neighbors before you started in the fall--i.e. during the summer? Also, did they ever notify you that the background check was complete or is it just a no news is good news type of situation?
Yup. I don't remember exactly when, but I think it was even before the summer. I was told that the background check was completed when I was interviewed by the investigating detective, but I may have asked. Otherwise, it would be a no news is good news thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sooo...anyone hear from the Bronx DA on paperwork?
Radio silence still on my end. You aren't alone...
It's been a few years but from what i remember, I got the city application paperwork to fill out at the end of the school year (snail mail), had appointments to get fingerprinted/photographed/ hand in the paperwork during bar study, and went in to get information about insurance and pension stuff about a week before start date. Clearly they are slower this year.

Honestly, the best thing you could do right now is just focus on the bar. You do not want to have to re-take it during your first year, or at all.

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:15 pm

How important are the hypos...if you have about 3-4 hypos and don't give the exact answer they want for 1 or 2 but are not completely wrong and can support your answer and thought through it out loud are you donezo??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:12 am

Has anyone heard back a rejection or offer from cook county yet? Or other information?

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:20 am

bballbb02 wrote:How important are the hypos...if you have about 3-4 hypos and don't give the exact answer they want for 1 or 2 but are not completely wrong and can support your answer and thought through it out loud are you donezo??

For ethics questions, they generally want the correct answer, or at least in favor of "better safe than sorry."

For substantive (i.e. 4th amendment questions), you tend to have a bit more wiggle room. Not as important to get it right necessarily but be able to articulate and explain your reasoning.

Of course, if your answers were completely bonkers, then yeah, you're done-zo.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bballbb02

New

Post by bballbb02 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:19 am

encore1101 wrote:
bballbb02 wrote:How important are the hypos...if you have about 3-4 hypos and don't give the exact answer they want for 1 or 2 but are not completely wrong and can support your answer and thought through it out loud are you donezo??

For ethics questions, they generally want the correct answer, or at least in favor of "better safe than sorry."

For substantive (i.e. 4th amendment questions), you tend to have a bit more wiggle room. Not as important to get it right necessarily but be able to articulate and explain your reasoning.

some were just like a fact pattern with some interesting facts, and it was how would you charge--I think my sentencing numbers were probably a little high/too aggressive in charging someone..hopefully not the worst

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back a rejection or offer from cook county yet? Or other information?
I have heard that the initial round of rejections have gone out, but I have not heard of anyone getting an offer yet. I don't think they've sent them out.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:54 pm

bballbb02 wrote:
encore1101 wrote:

some were just like a fact pattern with some interesting facts, and it was how would you charge--I think my sentencing numbers were probably a little high/too aggressive in charging someone..hopefully not the worst

Questions that ask discretionary determinations (i.e. what sentencing range would you recommend) are designed to probe your overall fitness to be a prosecutor. Do you believe in charging someone with everything possible in order to induce them to plead guilty? Do you think every conviction deserves max sentence? If so, why? As long as your interviewer is able to accept a well-explained difference of opinion, then you shouldn't be out of the running.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:40 am

Anyone know anything about Brooklyn ADA hiring? Applied way back when and never heard a response. Called to follow up, left a voicemail and no return.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about Brooklyn ADA hiring? Applied way back when and never heard a response. Called to follow up, left a voicemail and no return.
For the most part, Brooklyn is notoriously the slowest and most unresponsive of the nyc offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:59 am

Anyone know the Massachusetts’ DA’s Offices’ start dates this year? Or the typical start dates?

Middlesex and Suffolk primarily.

Suited4347

New

Post by Suited4347 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Has anyone heard back from cook county yet? Or has anyone tried finding out status via email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:12 am

Out of curiosity, what are your start dates in your respective offices? Bronx incoming class set to start September 4th!

Also, for those starting in the Bronx, did anyone receive their benefits information yet? I haven't received anything since finishing all the paperwork.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Hey everyone! Just jumping into this 2018 thread to ask a question about Cook County SAO. Were you notified via email, call, or snail mail when you received an offer/rejection? I've heard snail mail was used in 2016 so I just want to see if that was still the case. Thank you! :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of curiosity, what are your start dates in your respective offices? Bronx incoming class set to start September 4th!

Also, for those starting in the Bronx, did anyone receive their benefits information yet? I haven't received anything since finishing all the paperwork.
DANY starts 9/3.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”