What is a good number of callbacks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is a good number of callbacks?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:51 pm

I know there's probably no hard line between enough callbacks for an offer and a risky amount of callbacks, but I wanted to get some input. I'm at a T14, had 28 screeners, and got 8 callbacks and 3 dings (still waiting on dings/cbs from the rest). Should I be mass mailing, or can I feel ok knowing that 1/8 is a solid shot? Am I interviewing wrong only getting 8 out of that many? Thanks!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: What is a good number of callbacks?

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 pm

You should have been mass mailing anyway.

YouTea

New

Postby YouTea » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:03 pm

8 cbs is quite a bit. I didn’t mass mail in a similar situation. I concentrated on the cbs and making sure I was prepped. If you can do that and mass mail do it. If not, mass mail while waiting for your first offer. Good luck.

Vursz

Bronze

Postby Vursz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:31 pm

8 CBs should be fine. TLS fetishizes mass mailing, and I did it, but it was largely useless overkill (and the interviews/CBs I got from mass mailing were far less likely to pan out than OCI CBs - interviewers thought I'd go elsewhere).

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 pm

8 is a good amount. Schedule them as early as possible. Once you convert one, the rest of the process will be a breeze.

Lesion of Doom

New

Postby Lesion of Doom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:37 pm

I got my first offer today and immediately moved my various research and mass mail documents to an Archive folder. Relief.

Edit: I agree with the above posters than working yourself into a frenzy to mass mail can detract from the actual OCI process. If you're sufficiently strong to land that many callbacks, best to focus on those and bring home at least one offer.
Last edited by Lesion of Doom on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:41 pm

I was in a similar position: 27 screeners and 10 cbs and a bunch of dings. I was thinking about mass mailing but I got an offer before I even started. So OP you should be totally fine.

Return to “Legal Employment?