Question about biglaw callback dates

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
donoghue

New

Question about biglaw callback dates

Postby donoghue » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:49 am

I have callbacks at several firms in Vault's top 10. How much does it matter when I schedule my callbacks? I remember hearing somewhere that it's better to schedule them as early as possible, as many firms hire associates as soon as they can, so taking a late callback slot lowers your chances of being hired. Is this true? And if so, how late is too late? If the only date that works for me and a firm (say, Cravath) is fairly late (say, Sept. 1), should I be worried?

Anonymous User

Re: Question about biglaw callback dates

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:12 am

I think it matters a lot, and you're at a significant disadvantage if you're doing your CBs later in their process. As an anecdote, I went 4/5 to start my CBs, but 0/7 to finish them.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:13 am

It matters. Firms don't distribute offers evenly over interview season. They'll give offers to the first people in the door who they like. That means if they want to make X offers to get around Y summers, and it's September 1 and they have already given (X-10) offers, then they only have 10 offers to make to everyone else. That might mean someone who interviews in September has to be more impressive than someone who interviews in August to get one of those remaining slots.

It's not an exact science like this, and firms with bigger classes will probably have less variance over time as to who gets an offer and who doesn't, but it's always best to get in sooner than later.

TLDR cancel your plans and schedule your top choices first.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Postby sparkytrainer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:16 am

Yeah you can't be doing callbacks in September and hoping to get an offer. You need to cancel everything and do callbacks ASAP. Offers are already out at a lot of places.

donoghue

New

Postby donoghue » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:43 am

Got it-- Thanks everyone! Was not aware of how dire callback scheduling is and I'm working on rescheduling my stuff now.

Just out of curiosity, do we think that even more selective firms like S&C or Cravath would approach hiring in the same way, such that someone who does a callback on Aug. 15 is at a marked advantage over someone who does a callback on Aug. 30?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Postby sparkytrainer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:48 am

donoghue wrote:Got it-- Thanks everyone! Was not aware of how dire callback scheduling is and I'm working on rescheduling my stuff now.

Just out of curiosity, do we think that even more selective firms like S&C or Cravath would approach hiring in the same way, such that someone who does a callback on Aug. 15 is at a marked advantage over someone who does a callback on Aug. 30?

Yes, even more so because more kids will probably accept as soon as they have an offer. If anything, it's more dire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:31 pm

When is officially too late? If EIP was the first week of August. August 22nd is my last CB interview. Is it worth calling back to reschedule. Also, I scheduled a firm I really like for August 17th. Worth rescheduling?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Postby sparkytrainer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When is officially too late? If EIP was the first week of August. August 22nd is my last CB interview. Is it worth calling back to reschedule. Also, I scheduled a firm I really like for August 17th. Worth rescheduling?

If it can be sooner, the better. Always the sooner the better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:14 pm

What if the firm told me the earliest date available is August 17th? Do you think that shows a lack of interest on their part?

sparkytrainer

Silver

Postby sparkytrainer » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What if the firm told me the earliest date available is August 17th? Do you think that shows a lack of interest on their part?

No idea, maybe people just scheduled before you. Nothing you can do then, just be ready.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:47 pm

Don't overthink this. If firms have no earlier times, they have no earlier times. There is no good way to know how or whether any particular interview date will affect your odds at any particular firm. Just get in as soon as you can, all else equal.

Return to “Legal Employment�