Traveling as an associate

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
timmyd

Bronze

Traveling as an associate

Postby timmyd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:28 pm

So I'm coming up at a year at my firm and really REALLY want to take a vacation because I havnt this far. I'm thinking of going to Europe. Have any other young associates taken a Europe or otherwise out of country trip? I'm wondering if it can be done given the high volume of my current practice (litigation associate for small but busy firm). Please share any cool vacations y'all have taken as young associates. Also please share if vacation is really an illusion in this profession.

First Offense

Platinum

Re: Traveling as an associate

Postby First Offense » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:04 pm

timmyd wrote:So I'm coming up at a year at my firm and really REALLY want to take a vacation because I havnt this far. I'm thinking of going to Europe. Have any other young associates taken a Europe or otherwise out of country trip? I'm wondering if it can be done given the high volume of my current practice (litigation associate for small but busy firm). Please share any cool vacations y'all have taken as young associates. Also please share if vacation is really an illusion in this profession.

Litigation? You shouldn't have problems scheduling a vacation as long as you find a relative lull in your case schedules.

I'm a first year and went on a one week vacation last year over Christmas/new years and I'm going to go on another one later this month. Plenty of my colleagues have gone on week/two-week long vacations. Don't do it during the time where you have depositions or exhibit lists or dispositive motions, but if you can find a quiet spot in the schedule, go for it. One guy I now went to the French Riviera which seems cool, but I haven't gone anywhere quite as cool (someplace in the caribbean).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:19 pm

I went to italy winter of my first year (b/t stub and first). No issues. Going to germany next month.

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:44 pm

Ppl at my firm constantly travel internationally. Some like several times a year.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Postby ghostoftraynor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:42 am

People do it frequently. I'm going to Europe in a little over a month. Give them notice and all will be well. I was worried as well, but got encouraged once I broke the news.

Return to “Legal Employment�