Responding to rejection emails?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Responding to rejection emails?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:56 pm

It sucks to be rejected--of course--and it's important to move on, but is it frowned upon to respond, thank the person (particularly if it's a firm you were interested in), and, potentially, ask for constructive feedback? Obviously, there's a strong chance they won't respond at all, but is there any downside to doing so? I feel like there's nothing to lose, probably very little to nothing to gain (who really knows if you don't try?), but wasn't sure if I'm overlooking something.

Pokemon

Gold

Re: Responding to rejection emails?

Postby Pokemon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It sucks to be rejected--of course--and it's important to move on, but is it frowned upon to respond, thank the person (particularly if it's a firm you were interested in), and, potentially, ask for constructive feedback? Obviously, there's a strong chance they won't respond at all, but is there any downside to doing so? I feel like there's nothing to lose, probably very little to nothing to gain (who really knows if you don't try?), but wasn't sure if I'm overlooking something.

Probably no harm other than loss of time if you respond with a thank you. If you ask for contrustive criticism after being told no, then you have to deal with the downside of looking like a psycho. Think of it like dating, you do not ask (or I hope you do not) for constructive criticism if someone does not want to go on a date with you.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:36 pm

The only response should be something along the lines of "I appreciate the time and if anything at the firm changes, please let me know." Asking for feedback is silly and not something that looks good.

Lesion of Doom

New

Postby Lesion of Doom » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:37 am

For me, that would land as creepy and desperate. I'd reconsider, OP.

Hand

Gold

Postby Hand » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 am

sending anything short of an anthrax letter in response to a rejection seems like a missed opportunity to me

be bold, OP, and follow your dreams

KijiStewart

Bronze

Postby KijiStewart » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:42 am

kalvano wrote:The only response should be something along the lines of "I appreciate the time and if anything at the firm changes, please let me know." Asking for feedback is silly and not something that looks good.

Doesn't that sound like e-mail if you change your mind, and therefore too desperate/pushy?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Hmm, if I received an e-mail for constructive feedback, I'd answer it. And not view it as weird. Most times it would simply be we liked you, but grades or candidate we thought was a better fit. Sometimes interviewees mess up by saying things like they are tired during lunch or they expressed interest in a practice we don't have at my firm. I would let them know that so they avoid those mistakes in the future.

Edited: Previous message sent from Iphone.
Last edited by Lacepiece23 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:05 pm

All depends, I guess.

I'd probably respond to a request for constructive feedback. I don't think it actually sounds desperate because you're not actually asking for additional shots at the firm, you're just trying to determine if you fucked something up that you don't want to fuck up at another callback. But I seem to always give different answers than most of the usual TLS wisdom :)

Saying "if anything changes at the firm, please let me know" sounds fine to me. Especially at boutiques / smaller firms, although I guess biglaw can incorrectly project needs and determine they need more people later on too

nathanbryant2009

New

Postby nathanbryant2009 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:12 pm

In my opinion that's a bit odd, I wouldn't do it. Just take the L and walk away.

kalvano

Diamond

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:38 am

KijiStewart wrote:
kalvano wrote:The only response should be something along the lines of "I appreciate the time and if anything at the firm changes, please let me know." Asking for feedback is silly and not something that looks good.

Doesn't that sound like e-mail if you change your mind, and therefore too desperate/pushy?

Nah, not to me. Just a perfunctory acknowledgement of the email and a professional response to bad news.

Asking for constructive feedback seems desperate to me. Sometimes (oftentimes, likely) the truth is that the interviewee did nothing wrong. There was just someone else who seemed slightly better and they got the job. A quick, professional response to bad news says (to me, at least) "this person isn't weird and if we need someone else again, they should remain on the 'first call' list."

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:46 am

I say go for it! Include at least 3 big paragraphs of why they made a mistake. Then ask for their appeal process so you can file an appeal. It works out best if you ask the original sender to put you in contact with his/her supervisor first cause the first emailer tends to be low on the administrative ladder. You need someone more important for the appeal, i'd even email a board member or name partner directly actually. And don't let them tell you there's no appeal process. Keep sending emails until they cave. Good luck OP!

Edit: This was sarcasm. Also, only a very few decent firms would respond to your email anyway. Why would they tell you why they rejected you and risk being sued?
Last edited by LurkerTurnedMember on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:35 am

Are people really this far removed from reality?

No, absolutely do not respond to a rejection e-mail.

edit: MAYBE if it was a real small firm, I'd say something like "thank you for your time and consideration." Otherwise, why waste the time and energy?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:37 pm

A rejection email once told me to consider applying again after my clerkship (I had a gap year). I thanked the recruiter and said I look forward to reapplying then.

Gymnastics

New

Postby Gymnastics » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Reading this thread probably took more time than sending an email asking for feedback. I asked what I could do to improve my application in the future when I was rejected for a 1L summer job. I got a response informing me that the position had already been filled, so to please apply by December in the upcoming year.

I think most law firms won't provide useful information, but I hardly think it looks weird or psycho to ask what you can do better. Sure, probably NOTHING, but can't hurt to ask politely.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 pm

Gymnastics wrote:I think most law firms won't provide useful information, but I hardly think it looks weird or psycho to ask what you can do better.

Nah, it's weird. It rarely happens, but folks who follow up with recruiters and interviewers asking for an explanation for why they were rejected tend to be remembered, and not in a good way.

Look, there are certain contexts where it's socially appropriate to ask for tips from the person who dinged you (or gave you a bad grade or whatever). Law-firm hiring isn't one of those contexts.

Move on.

Return to “Legal Employment�