Working remotely at a new job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Working remotely at a new job

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:31 pm

I am a midlevel in NYC biglaw and would like to move somewhere (could be another biglaw or smaller firm, could be in-house) that has a lax face time policy. Wondering if I am better off just finding a place where everyone tells me it's the norm to work from home often, or if I am better off being upfront in interviews that working remotely 1-2 days a week is something I am looking for in the job. My fear is that I would immediately get categorized into the "alternative arrangement" bucket and be paid less, but obviously I am trying to earn a full salary and would plan on working a full day whenever I work from home. I also worry about being seen in the interview as not hard working if I am asking to work from home right out of the gate. Anyone have any experience with or thoughts on this?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Working remotely at a new job

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Unless you know for certain that an employer offers the option to work from home, and in fact encourages it and takes pride in its flexibility, so much so that it would be valuable to signal that you agree with this, I cannot imagine it ever being good idea to bring up working from home in an interview.

I can't claim to have direct experience with this, I say this just based on applying for jobs over the years.

(Certainly there are some places that offer this kind of option, but do your research outside of the interview, or raise it once you have an offer. Not in the interview. If they're really proud of offering this option and are trying to woo you someone will bring it up to you.)

Slickrick90

New

Postby Slickrick90 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Last edited by Slickrick90 on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:17 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Unless you know for certain that an employer offers the option to work from home, and in fact encourages it and takes pride in its flexibility, so much so that it would be valuable to signal that you agree with this, I cannot imagine it ever being good idea to bring up working from home in an interview.

I can't claim to have direct experience with this, I say this just based on applying for jobs over the years.

(Certainly there are some places that offer this kind of option, but do your research outside of the interview, or raise it once you have an offer. Not in the interview. If they're really proud of offering this option and are trying to woo you someone will bring it up to you.)

Right. I think the first step would be to make that preference known to a recruiter and have them find me a place like that, and then, based on people I talk to or what I hear/read, I would approach it accordingly in the interview or better yet, once I have the offer. I know there are no guarantees, but I definitely want to make it clear that working remotely 1-2 days a week is what I'd be looking for and what I'd plan to do.

Return to “Legal Employment�