How bad is garden leave?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How bad is garden leave?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:53 am

So basically I don't need to come to the office anymore and won't have access to email etc but still will be paid for a few months. I'm actively looking and wanted to get a sense of how bad this is.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Re: How bad is garden leave?

Postby IExistedOnceBefore » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:17 am

You've been fired and they're giving you time to land on your feet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:36 am

IExistedOnceBefore wrote:You've been fired and they're giving you time to land on your feet.

I actually resigned but have been going to the office etc. I meant how bad is it for my search?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IExistedOnceBefore wrote:You've been fired and they're giving you time to land on your feet.

I actually resigned but have been going to the office etc. I meant how bad is it for my search?

It's good. You'll still be on the website and give you time to search. I won't say anything about you resigning without something else lined up.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You may believe that you resigned, but the fact that the firm is paying you months of severance suggests that your firm believes that you were fired.

koalatriste

Bronze

Postby koalatriste » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Garden Leave is an UK term of art/concept. OP, if you are in the UK and are using the term in the conventional sense as it is understood in the UK, you are not going to get much help here as most (clearly) are not going to be familiar with it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:23 pm

koalatriste wrote:Garden Leave is an UK term of art/concept. OP, if you are in the UK and are using the term in the conventional sense as it is understood in the UK, you are not going to get much help here as most (clearly) are not going to be familiar with it.

I'm familiar with the term. Why is it clear to you that the posters ITT didn't understand the term or the OP's post?

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:26 pm

SO you resigned and they decided to pay you for a few months anyway, just for giggles? Seems legit.

stego

Platinum

Postby stego » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:30 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You may believe that you resigned, but the fact that the firm is paying you months of severance suggests that your firm believes that you were fired.

He can't quit them, they're fired?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:33 pm

stego wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Huh? I'm not sure what you're saying or asking. But the point is that law firms generally don't pay severance (or put an employee on "garden leave") for months after the employee voluntarily quits.

stego

Platinum

Postby stego » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
stego wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Huh? I'm not sure what you're saying or asking. But the point is that law firms generally don't pay severance (or put an employee on "garden leave") for months when the employee quits.

I was making a dumb play on the words "you can't fire me, I quit."

Maybe the firm pushed OP into resigning so they wouldn't have to officially fire him.

SFSpartan

Silver

Postby SFSpartan » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:47 pm

Edited - Garden leave is not a thing in the U.S. like it is in the UK. OP- you were fired.
Last edited by SFSpartan on Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm

rpupkin wrote:
stego wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Huh? I'm not sure what you're saying or asking. But the point is that law firms generally don't pay severance (or put an employee on "garden leave") for months after the employee voluntarily quits.

I actually thought this was a thing done in U.K. Market. Op needs to clarify on that point, given both the weirdness of the situation by us standards and this is something done elsewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:41 pm

stego wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
stego wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Huh? I'm not sure what you're saying or asking. But the point is that law firms generally don't pay severance (or put an employee on "garden leave") for months when the employee quits.

I was making a dumb play on the words "you can't fire me, I quit."

Maybe the firm pushed OP into resigning so they wouldn't have to officially fire him.

OP here. I signed a resignation letter after having the talk. Based in the U.S.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I signed a resignation letter after having the talk. Based in the U.S.

This is what I assumed. OP was effectively fired. In exchange for agreeing to go quietly, OP gets to: (1) resign, (2) receive pay for awhile, and (3) still have his or her bio on the firm web site. This is common in big law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:41 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I signed a resignation letter after having the talk. Based in the U.S.

This is what I assumed. OP was effectively fired. In exchange for agreeing to go quietly, OP gets to: (1) resign, (2) receive pay for awhile, and (3) still have his or her bio on the firm web site. This is common in big law.

I guess the question is how bad is this if the word gets out? I mean as compared with still going to work.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:47 pm

This is kind of confusing. When is resignation later dated as? Stealth layoffs are based on a fiction where the attorney is leaving voluntarily even though in reality he is being told to leave. On paper it looks or should look 100% like a lateral move. But signing a resignation letter, while still being paid and on website seems a bit unusual and raises in my opinion an ethical question if you are asked as to whether you are still employed at your old firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:58 am

How different is this from being soft exited (secondment or the like)?

Return to “Legal Employment�