Have we discussed on this board the prevalence of 9-5 legal jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jd20132013

Silver
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Have we discussed on this board the prevalence of 9-5 legal jobs

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:29 pm

That are interesting--pay not being a factor at all?

I realize the only job that can be reasonable hours, well paid, and interesting is probably a federal judge , but what about the first and third ?

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Have we discussed on this board the prevalence of 9-5 legal jobs

Postby UVA2B » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:36 pm

How do you define a career that is "interesting?" That basic question seems too opaque to give any substantive answer. Is an interesting career based on practice area, intellectual challenge, varied experience, or something else?

My definition of an interesting career could be wildly different from yours, but neither of us can accurately define the term that provides any value. My ideal career will be cumulative with my previous experience in a way that lets me leverage my experience into quality work and team-based projects, but that's certainly not for everyone, even considering how vague that description may be.

jd20132013

Silver
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Have we discussed on this board the prevalence of 9-5 legal jobs

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:43 pm

UVA2B wrote:How do you define a career that is "interesting?" That basic question seems too opaque to give any substantive answer. Is an interesting career based on practice area, intellectual challenge, varied experience, or something else?

My definition of an interesting career could be wildly different from yours, but neither of us can accurately define the term that provides any value. My ideal career will be cumulative with my previous experience in a way that lets me leverage my experience into quality work and team-based projects, but that's certainly not for everyone, even considering how vague that description may be.


I'm op, topic was accidental anon. Good question. I mean here intellectual challenge, which I find generally interesting--I recognize that people may have different substantive interests

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Have we discussed on this board the prevalence of 9-5 legal jobs

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Probably local or state government is gonna be the closest. YMMV whether you'll find it interesting.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Have we discussed on this board the prevalence of 9-5 legal jobs

Postby Nebby » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:50 pm

Fed Agency work is mostly 9-5 and if you find the substantive area interesting then it's a decent gig.

User avatar
los blancos

Platinum
Posts: 8397
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Have we discussed on this board the prevalence of 9-5 legal jobs

Postby los blancos » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That are interesting--pay not being a factor at all?

I realize the only job that can be reasonable hours, well paid, and interesting is probably a federal judge , but what about the first and third ?



this is highly dependent on the district; idea that federal judges (especially d. ct. judges) have it relatively easy is giant flame.

jd20132013

Silver
Posts: 1381
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Have we discussed on this board the prevalence of 9-5 legal jobs

Postby jd20132013 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:13 pm

los blancos wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That are interesting--pay not being a factor at all?

I realize the only job that can be reasonable hours, well paid, and interesting is probably a federal judge , but what about the first and third ?



this is highly dependent on the district; idea that federal judges (especially d. ct. judges) have it relatively easy is giant flame.



I carefully said "can be" there. The ones that care deeply about getting things right and not getting reversed don't have it easy. Not all of them do.

User avatar
nealric

Moderator
Posts: 2928
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Have we discussed on this board the prevalence of 9-5 legal jobs

Postby nealric » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:45 am

My in-house job runs on a 9/80 (80 hours per two weeks worked, but working 9 hours a day). There are occasional nights/weekends, but it's pretty much a 9-5 type of gig. Pay is good. Work is interesting.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.