How Many Callbacks Should I Do w/ Background Check Issues

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Many Callbacks Should I Do w/ Background Check Issues

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:48 pm

So I have been in recovery for a number of years and have a felony for possession that is 10 years old and a few misdemeanors (one includes shoplifting something that was a 1.29) that are 7 years old.

I recently completed OCI at a T13 and have been getting a good number of CB's. I have been told to bring it up only once I get an offer but before I accept an offer.

Assuming I get an offer, once I tell the firm what will the reaction be? Could/ are they likely to pull the offer?
Any other thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: How Many Callbacks Should I Do w/ Background Check Issues

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:57 pm

imo you should tell them (hiring partner?) after the callback but before the offer. Otherwise, that's recipe on how they'd pull an offer (given that they lacked information to evaluate your candidacy or operated on false presumption).

Anonymous User

Re: How Many Callbacks Should I Do w/ Background Check Issues

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:15 pm

I'm no expert, but here's what I would do. Talk to a C&F expert (probably an attorney) who can tell you what your odds are being admitted to the bar. I imagine you already did this at some point, or else you probably wouldn't have gone to law school. Have them write you a letter outlining their opinion that you should be able to pass a C&F check in your chosen state. Unless another opportunity comes up (like they googled you and saw your arrests and ask you about it in the interview), I would wait to say anything until you have an offer in hand. Once you have the offer in hand you should speak to someone (here, I would ask your career services office for advice on whom to speak with) and explain your predicament and offer to send over the letter from your attorney. And in general, I would say you should go ask your career services office what to do, because they've probably dealt with this situation before, and I haven't.

A firm's main worry with a 10-year old felony and a 7 year old misdemeanor is probably not that you are going to start stealing from them, but rather than they're going to invest time and money in you over the summer and then not be able to hire you after school.

To answer your question though, do all the callbacks, because I'm sure some firms will balk at hiring you once they know this info, and you need to maximize your options.

Return to “Legal Employment�