Callback Dynamics

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback Dynamics

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Would love to get some anecdotal feedback on this from interviewing attorneys, law students who have gone through the process, etc.

If a firm invites you to callback interviews, does that typically mean that you have surpassed the grades/extracurriculars hurdle? I imagine it can always be a tie-breaker, but do post-callback candidates still get denied because of grades? Also, for the average interviewer - how many callbacks are generally needed to feel safe about getting an offer?

Lastly, any general advice about making it through ~3/4 hours of interviewing unscathed? Consistent questions and answers? Consistent answers, different questions?

grades??

Silver

Re: Callback Dynamics

Postby grades?? » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:44 pm

You could not get an offer for many reasons, including grades, and you wont know why.

I had close friends go 8/10 offers to callbacks, and I had a friend who was really personable go 0/12. You never know.

BottomOfTotem

New

Postby BottomOfTotem » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Would it be a bad idea to ask about a firm's less than stellar offer rate during a callback? Obviously would be done in a respectful manner, but I was wondering if this is best saved until a potential offer is extended, if that happens.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:07 pm

BottomOfTotem wrote:Would it be a bad idea to ask about a firm's less than stellar offer rate during a callback? Obviously would be done in a respectful manner, but I was wondering if this is best saved until a potential offer is extended, if that happens.

Only ask this if you want the offer to go to someone else.

Edit: to be clear, do you mean a history of no-offers or of the offer rate of those with callbacks? Doesn't change the answer much, but I want to give you credit if I misunderstood the question you're thinking about asking.
Last edited by UVA2B on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:09 pm

BottomOfTotem wrote:Would it be a bad idea to ask about a firm's less than stellar offer rate during a callback? Obviously would be done in a respectful manner, but I was wondering if this is best saved until a potential offer is extended, if that happens.

I wouldn't do that even after an offer was extended.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:07 pm

UVA2B wrote:

Edit: to be clear, do you mean a history of no-offers or of the offer rate of those with callbacks? Doesn't change the answer much, but I want to give you credit if I misunderstood the question you're thinking about asking.

It would be of no offers after the 2L summer. I figured it would be a bad idea during callbacks, but just wanted to make sure.

To the other person above, who is not quoted here, why is it a bad idea to check about offer rates even after an offer? I think it's a pretty big deal if it is systemic or there is a trend concerning that particular office. It isn't that I am asking for a guarantee, but rather if there is a rationale as to why this firm is differing from its peers (who all are near 100%), I would like to know. Kind of a big decision.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

It would be of no offers after the 2L summer. I figured it would be a bad idea during callbacks, but just wanted to make sure.

To the other person above, who is not quoted here, why is it a bad idea to check about offer rates even after an offer? I think it's a pretty big deal if it is systemic or there is a trend concerning that particular office. It isn't that I am asking for a guarantee, but rather if there is a rationale as to why this firm is differing from its peers (who all are near 100%), I would like to know. Kind of a big decision.

The reason it's a bad idea to ask about something like that is because you have no way of asking it without coming off horribly to someone who you presumably still want to hire you and keep you on. No firm is going to explain a 25% no-offer rate in any way that is satisfiable to you as a potential SA, and further, it'll instantly make you look bad to the firm which will spread to everyone else involved in the hiring decisions that already have 75% historic offer rates.

So basically, by asking that question, even if it does potentially bother you, you're instantly putting yourself into that 25% getting no-offered just by asking that question. If their offer rate bothers you, find another firm that has 100% offer rate. And if that's your only offer, you need to do everything in your power to make sure you get an offer following graduation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:36 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

The reason it's a bad idea to ask about something like that is because you have no way of asking it without coming off horribly to someone who you presumably still want to hire you and keep you on. No firm is going to explain a 25% no-offer rate in any way that is satisfiable to you as a potential SA, and further, it'll instantly make you look bad to the firm which will spread to everyone else involved in the hiring decisions that already have 75% historic offer rates.

So basically, by asking that question, even if it does potentially bother you, you're instantly putting yourself into that 25% getting no-offered just by asking that question. If their offer rate bothers you, find another firm that has 100% offer rate. And if that's your only offer, you need to do everything in your power to make sure you get an offer following graduation.

That makes a lot of sense. I appreciate the response. A large part of me felt it would be wrong, but a competing percentage is worried nonetheless. Also I wasn't sure if this was an interaction unique to law that perhaps led to this question being acceptable. Understandably it isn't.

Thank you again for the answer and walking me through this, I'm sure I sound naive.

Edit: sorry for the anon on this and my last post, accidental. This is bottomoftotem (obviously).

fxb3

New

Postby fxb3 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:50 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

+1. I've been asked the question a couple of times, and my firm historically offers ~98-100% of the summers. Trust me, when you no offer only one or two out of 50+ summers, the no-offers are really bad (sexual harassment, literally ignoring assignments, materially lying about credentials/background). So to express concern about why we offered 98% and not 100 suggests to me, fairly or not, that you plan to be one of those atrocious ones.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would love to get some anecdotal feedback on this from interviewing attorneys, law students who have gone through the process, etc.

If a firm invites you to callback interviews, does that typically mean that you have surpassed the grades/extracurriculars hurdle? I imagine it can always be a tie-breaker, but do post-callback candidates still get denied because of grades? Also, for the average interviewer - how many callbacks are generally needed to feel safe about getting an offer?

Lastly, any general advice about making it through ~3/4 hours of interviewing unscathed? Consistent questions and answers? Consistent answers, different questions?

Bump on this question. What should folks expect in a callback interview? How similar are they to screeners? Lastly, does anyone know what factors are generally weighed most heavily in callbacks? Grades? Interview ability? Fit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump on this question. What should folks expect in a callback interview? How similar are they to screeners? Lastly, does anyone know what factors are generally weighed most heavily in callbacks? Grades? Interview ability? Fit?

Usually, callbacks are basically just several screeners in a row. Sometimes they may conclude with a meal (in which case that is part of the interview, whatever your host might say). Don't worry about what factors they're considering (both because you can't know and because it shouldn't matter on your end); keep giving it your best shot and you'll do fine.

Return to “Legal Employment�