I resigned from a summer job. Was this a bad decision?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
elendinel

Silver
Posts: 975
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: I resigned from a summer job. Was this a bad decision?

Postby elendinel » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:51 am

stego wrote:
elendinel wrote:If not flame:

One of my partners once showed my colleagues a hilarious resignation letter from an associate two firms back who left the firm to "follow their dream." It was both a joke and a warning that we're going to be considered crazy people if we do the same thing. I've probably also shown it to other people because of how hilarious it is. I don't know that any of us would remember the name of the guy who did it, but the partner probably did and if we looked at a resume that seemed to track with this dude's letter, we'd probably take a quick look back at that letter out of curiosity. So these kinds of things can and sometimes do get around, in ways you may not be able to imagine.

It doesn't always happen though, so hopefully your bosses just read it and discard. Make sure you don't do anything similar in the future.

A person quitting big law to "follow their dream" is per se hilarious, or was there more to it than that?


The letter was written as a 15+ page FAQ of why the guy was leaving and intricate details of what his next life would entail (including appendices of maps/etc. outlining where he planned to be in the next 1-5 years or so, questions about whether or not the dude would be able to find a wife in the place he was moving (in case you were concerned, he was confident he would still be able to get married even if he moved out of NYC), and other awesome things). I don't want to say too much and out the guy.

But I can't say that it's that much worse than an intern writing a resignation letter about not wanting to be a corporate shill.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: I resigned from a summer job. Was this a bad decision?

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:55 am

I think my favorite part is that an INTERN thinks they add so much value to their office that they believe their quitting one week early would be seen as an act of moral martyrdom rather than an extremely minor inconvenience akin to farting during an office-wide meeting.

Further proof COA clerks are lemons

foregetaboutdre

Bronze
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:16 am

Re: I resigned from a summer job. Was this a bad decision?

Postby foregetaboutdre » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:13 am

It's always been my opinion that as a civil servant you just take whatever administration is in charge (unless it's literally hitler). Know a ton of AAGs who hate republicans, but still work through republican admins.

User avatar
elendinel

Silver
Posts: 975
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: I resigned from a summer job. Was this a bad decision?

Postby elendinel » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:17 am

Yeah I don't know if this is a true post, but even if it isn't there's always a rash of interns who seem to think they're a lot more important to their firm/organization than they actually are.

A good intern in law is still only marginally harder to find than a skilled burger flipper is for McDonald's. If you want to take a stand and don't care how it affects you career, that's cool, no judgment, type away; but if you do care about your career with that sort of law, overestimating your value is always a surefire way to unexpectedly end up without gainful employment once it's time to lock an offer down.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: I resigned from a summer job. Was this a bad decision?

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:28 am

foregetaboutdre wrote:It's always been my opinion that as a civil servant you just take whatever administration is in charge (unless it's literally hitler). Know a ton of AAGs who hate republicans, but still work through republican admins.

That is the concensus of most civil servants. If you don't want to work under an administration, then you find another opportunity and don't unexpectedly leave your colleagues with a mountain of work. It's possible to both take a moral stand but also not fuck over anyone.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29316
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: I resigned from a summer job. Was this a bad decision?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:40 am

Nebby wrote:Further proof COA clerks are lemons

1) OP didn't say they were a COA clerk and 2) what? your disdain for appellate is getting weird.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: I resigned from a summer job. Was this a bad decision?

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:46 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Nebby wrote:Further proof COA clerks are lemons

1) OP didn't say they were a COA clerk and 2) what? your disdain for appellate is getting weird.

Nerve struck! I'm done here :twisted:

User avatar
BlendedUnicorn

Platinum
Posts: 9320
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:40 pm

Re: I resigned from a summer job. Was this a bad decision?

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:08 pm

Nebby wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:It's always been my opinion that as a civil servant you just take whatever administration is in charge (unless it's literally hitler). Know a ton of AAGs who hate republicans, but still work through republican admins.

That is the concensus of most civil servants. If you don't want to work under an administration, then you find another opportunity and don't unexpectedly leave your colleagues with a mountain of work. It's possible to both take a moral stand but also not fuck over anyone.


It's a convenient position for consensus.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: I resigned from a summer job. Was this a bad decision?

Postby Nebby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:28 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:
Nebby wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:It's always been my opinion that as a civil servant you just take whatever administration is in charge (unless it's literally hitler). Know a ton of AAGs who hate republicans, but still work through republican admins.

That is the concensus of most civil servants. If you don't want to work under an administration, then you find another opportunity and don't unexpectedly leave your colleagues with a mountain of work. It's possible to both take a moral stand but also not fuck over anyone.


It's a convenient position for consensus.

Missionary is a convenient position for coitus



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.