Any long-term harm to relationships from ignoring recruiters?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any long-term harm to relationships from ignoring recruiters?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:23 pm

Is there any long-term harm or damage to relationships with recruiters if I ignore them for the time-being? Like, will they blacklist me or stop reaching out with opportunities? I'm sure some of this depends on the individual - but is there any general agreement on whether it's bad manners to ignore their cold-calls and emails? Would it be worthwhile to at least acknowledge them reaching out to me? Just don't want to waste my time unless I'm actually looking...

Some additional info: Coming up on the one-year mark as a first-year big law corporate associate. Currently happy where I am, but no reviews yet. My total hours are less than I want them to be, primarily because (1) slow start getting integrated; (2) retaking (and passing) bar exam; (3) getting re-integrated post-bar. Hours have been fine since then (160-200 per month, and likely approx. 1500 at years end).

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Any long-term harm to relationships from ignoring recruiters?

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:32 pm

No. I've never had one recruiter reach out to me with an "opportunity" that fifty four other recruiters didn't also email/call me about.

That said, there are a few good recruiters out there who are good to keep in your graces. But if you just ignore them, nothing bad will come from it. If you get one email from them, you will eventually get another.

BlueParrot

New

Postby BlueParrot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Ignore the recruiters and don't worry about it. Recruiters will always want to work with you if they think they have a chance of getting you a job.

I also wouldn't worry too much about your hours being low yet.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:43 pm

I think most people ignore recruiters and most recruiters know they will be ignored.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:37 pm

It's never even occurred to me not to ignore recruiters. I think they'll be there if you ever want them.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:44 pm

I usually try to be nice to them cause it is a hard job and think it pays to be nice to people. But of course feel free to ignore their emails, most are automated anyways.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:22 pm

There's no harm in a brief, cordial message indicating you're unavailable. I usually follow up with a "I'll ask around though." (won't usually follow through unless I know someone off the top of my head who may be interested)

Mr. Peanutbutter

Diamond

Postby Mr. Peanutbutter » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:58 pm

Nebby wrote:There's no harm in a brief, cordial message indicating you're unavailable. I usually follow up with a "I'll ask around though." (won't usually follow through unless I know someone off the top of my head who may be interested)

How many emails do you get that you can respond? I get like 2-3 a day, and almost all of them look like they did a mail merge of my name and practice group. Responding to unsolicited emails seems weird unless it’s diff for non profit.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Mlk&Ckies wrote:
Nebby wrote:There's no harm in a brief, cordial message indicating you're unavailable. I usually follow up with a "I'll ask around though." (won't usually follow through unless I know someone off the top of my head who may be interested)

How many emails do you get that you can respond? I get like 2-3 a day, and almost all of them look like they did a mail merge of my name and practice group. Responding to unsolicited emails seems weird unless it’s diff for non profit.

I get like one a month, haha.

fxb3

New

Postby fxb3 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:57 pm

No harm in ignoring any of them, especially the ones who spam you with opportunities that don't fit you and that you received from a dozen others as well. But even the "best" recruiters don't care if you don't respond, they're used to it.

That said, once I identified a couple of competent recruiters, either just by reputation or because they reached out about something that uniquely fit me based on my web bio (my firm has insanely detailed web bios), I've kept in touch. I've been up front about the fact that I'm not really looking but that I'd be happy to hear about X, Y, and Z opportunities. In a couple of instances I've had coffee with those recruiters just to shoot the shit about the market and what kinds of opportunities are open to people with my experience. It's been helpful to keep that up even though I still am not planning on making a move.

Return to “Legal Employment?