CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DMXdawg

New
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby DMXdawg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:01 pm

Just do W&C is "meh" bro

BlueParrot

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby BlueParrot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 pm

I would try to get your grades up a little bit over the next two years and build some great relationships with professors. Will probably be more important for your path than if you end up starting at a V10 vs V20 (or whatever).

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby rpupkin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:lol just fuck this profession.

Sorry to rain on the let's-all-shit-on-the-OP parade, but I think the reaction ITT is a little over the top. The OP is just doing what many of us (myself included) probably did as rising 2Ls: viewing OCI as a continuation of the brass-ring chasing that most T14 law students have done for much of their lives.

It's understandable. Vault sucks. Chambers isn't that helpful either. But what else is someone with one year of law school behind them supposed to look at? When I was a 1L, I didn't understand what it meant to work at a big law firm as an associate. I didn't really understand after SA stints either. Or after a clerkship. It's really, really hard to gain useful perspective on this decision as a rising 2L, because you don't know what it's like to work as a litigation associate until, well, you start working as a litigation associate.

OP: All I can tell you is that the difference between what you describe as a "strong litigation firm," on the one hand, and a less-distinctive V20/V30/V50 firm, on the other, is probably not as meaningful as you think. The painful reality is that--if your goal is to maximize professional happiness and opportunities--the most important factor is probably luck. Do you end up in a practice group that's growing? Do you end up working for a partner (or partners) who actually bother to invest in your development as an associate? Do you have the fortune of getting staffed on the cases that give you the opportunities to build your skills? Those are the things that really matter. And they don't have much (if anything) to do with Vault, Chambers, or any other assessment of prestige.

User avatar
Mr. Blackacre

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:19 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:lol just fuck this profession.

Sorry to rain on the let's-all-shit-on-the-OP parade, but I think the reaction ITT is a little over the top. The OP is just doing what many of us (myself included) probably did as rising 2Ls: viewing OCI as a continuation of the brass-ring chasing that most T14 law students have done for much of their lives.

It's understandable. Vault sucks. Chambers isn't that helpful either. But what else is someone with one year of law school behind them supposed to look at? When I was a 1L, I didn't understand what it meant to work at a big law firm as an associate. I didn't really understand after SA stints either. Or after a clerkship. It's really, really hard to gain useful perspective on this decision as a rising 2L, because you don't know what it's like to work as a litigation associate until, well, you start working as a litigation associate.

OP: All I can tell you is that the difference between what you describe as a "strong litigation firm," on the one hand, and a less-distinctive V20/V30/V50 firm, on the other, is probably not as meaningful as you think. The painful reality is that--if your goal is to maximize professional happiness and opportunities--the most important factor here is probably luck. Do you end up in a practice group that's growing? Do you end up working for a partner (or partners) who actually bother to invest in your development as an associate? Do you have the fortune of getting staffed on the cases that give you the opportunities to build your skills? Those are the things that really matter. And they don't have much (if anything) to do with Vault, Chambers, or any other assessment of prestige.


Lol this actually explains why your first comment was so nice. The irony in there is that you have no problem making snarky comments to other posters asking stupid questions, but you're going to defend this OP because you had a similar experience in LS. It would be nice if you extended the same kind of leniency to other people as well, fyi.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby rpupkin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:Lol this actually explains why your first comment was so nice. The irony in there is that you have no problem making snarky comments to other posters asking stupid questions, but you're going to defend this OP because you had a similar experience in LS. It would be nice if you extended the same kind of leniency to other people as well, fyi.

I make snarky comments when I want to make snarky comments. I'm sorry that you're disappointed that my posts don't align with your assessment of when such comments are appropriate.

User avatar
Mr. Blackacre

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:33 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:Lol this actually explains why your first comment was so nice. The irony in there is that you have no problem making snarky comments to other posters asking stupid questions, but you're going to defend this OP because you had a similar experience in LS. It would be nice if you extended the same kind of leniency to other people as well, fyi.

I make snarky comments when I want to make snarky comments. I'm sorry that you're disappointed that my posts don't align with your assessment of when such comments are appropriate.


Not disappointed - not surprised either. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy in you calling out others when you shit on clueless posters on a daily basis.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7726
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:Lol this actually explains why your first comment was so nice. The irony in there is that you have no problem making snarky comments to other posters asking stupid questions, but you're going to defend this OP because you had a similar experience in LS. It would be nice if you extended the same kind of leniency to other people as well, fyi.

I make snarky comments when I want to make snarky comments. I'm sorry that you're disappointed that my posts don't align with your assessment of when such comments are appropriate.


Not disappointed - not surprised either. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy in you calling out others when you shit on clueless posters on a daily basis.


This site as a whole tends to shit on clueless posters. It's understandable, but it also sucks. It's understandable because reading through the threads would make people less clueless. It sucks because the people often don't become less clueless in their own thread because they're put on the defensive. We are all hypocrites at one point or another. We all contribute to the good and bad of this place.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby rpupkin » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:Lol this actually explains why your first comment was so nice. The irony in there is that you have no problem making snarky comments to other posters asking stupid questions, but you're going to defend this OP because you had a similar experience in LS. It would be nice if you extended the same kind of leniency to other people as well, fyi.

I make snarky comments when I want to make snarky comments. I'm sorry that you're disappointed that my posts don't align with your assessment of when such comments are appropriate.


Not disappointed - not surprised either. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy in you calling out others when you shit on clueless posters on a daily basis.

I disagree that I "shit on clueless posters on a daily basis." I think most of my posts are offered in the spirit of helpful advice. I have no idea who you are, but you appear to have a special interest in my posting history. I don't think it's appropriate to derail an on-topic thread with this kind of thing, so I suggest you start a thread in the lounge if you really want to discuss the hypocrisy of my TLS posting.

User avatar
Mr. Blackacre

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:48 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:56 pm

rpupkin wrote:I disagree that I "shit on clueless posters on a daily basis." I think most of my posts are offered in the spirit of helpful advice. I have no idea who you are, but you appear to have a special interest in my posting history. I don't think it's appropriate to derail an on-topic thread with this kind of thing, so I suggest you start a thread in the lounge if you really want to discuss the hypocrisy of my TLS posting.

Agree to disagree. Lol re: bolded - while that would be fun, I don't think I have enough TLS cred to feel confident shitposting in the lounge.

lavarman84 wrote:This site as a whole tends to shit on clueless posters. It's understandable, but it also sucks. It's understandable because reading through the threads would make people less clueless. It sucks because the people often don't become less clueless in their own thread because they're put on the defensive. We are all hypocrites at one point or another. We all contribute to the good and bad of this place.

I guess that's fair.

To get back on topic, I would offer OP some advice, but everything's pretty much been covered at this point. OP does sound pretty conceited (which, for the record, most people at my school weren't end of 1L), and Vault is useless for litigation.

lolwat

Silver
Posts: 1216
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby lolwat » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Yeah OP got some good advice already. To me it was more the tone of the question as I read it: "i'm median to top 33% and got some callbacks at biglaw firms, but none of them are v10... What do i do??!?"

charliekelly33

New
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:35 am

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby charliekelly33 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Getting things back on track:

Calling a V20 "meh" with average grades and no firm offers yet. What a douche
Last edited by charliekelly33 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RSN

Silver
Posts: 967
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby RSN » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:02 pm

One thing I don't see already mentioned in this thread is that if you actually end up with more than 15 or so callbacks, yes you could turn a few down from firms that have a bad reputation or just seem like really poor fits. But otherwise there's no reason not to do them just because you don't like where they are on the Vault rankings. Cart is majorly ahead of the horse here.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29306
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Mr. Blackacre wrote:Lol this actually explains why your first comment was so nice. The irony in there is that you have no problem making snarky comments to other posters asking stupid questions, but you're going to defend this OP because you had a similar experience in LS. It would be nice if you extended the same kind of leniency to other people as well, fyi.

I make snarky comments when I want to make snarky comments. I'm sorry that you're disappointed that my posts don't align with your assessment of when such comments are appropriate.


Not disappointed - not surprised either. I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy in you calling out others when you shit on clueless posters on a daily basis.

Pretty sure he only shits on the arrogant/rude ones.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327221
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:17 pm

At first it seemed like OP was calling the firms "meh" because they weren't V10. As the posts went on I got the impression that he understands Vault doesn't map onto lit quality/prestige, but was just giving folks a sense of where he did/didn't get in and has otherwise determined that the firms he has CBs for are average for lit. Take the callbacks, OP. Outside of a few super selective biglaw firms and lit boutiques, most biglaw shops are more similar than they are different anyway.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10281
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm

jesus

decline the callbacks and drop out. you'll be miserable in biglaw if your attitude is this terrible

dixiecupdrinking

Gold
Posts: 3440
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: CBs from Meh Firms- What to do

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:35 pm

All snark aside, if you ever want to work in biglaw, you need to take whatever biglaw SA you can get. If you don't want biglaw, then don't do it. But a "meh" firm is 10000% better than no firm if you want to work in a firm later.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.