So I've been at biglaw for about a year.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

So I've been at biglaw for about a year.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:07 pm

Had a good set of midterm reviews, haven't quite had my full year review yet. I've just been crushed with work for months on end and it's starting to affect my work product despite my best efforts.

This is fine in the sense that I've realized I'm not cut out for biglaw. Not fine in the sense that I need to
make it at least six more months here to be loan secure.

Am I generally pretty safe for at least one review period if I'm Billing a lot of hours and work product suffers?

Anonymous User

Re: So I've been at biglaw for about a year.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a good set of midterm reviews, haven't quite had my full year review yet. I've just been crushed with work for months on end and it's starting to affect my work product despite my best efforts.

This is fine in the sense that I've realized I'm not cut out for biglaw. Not fine in the sense that I need to

Am I generally pretty safe for at least one review period if I'm Billing a lot of hours and work product suffers?

As long as your getting work your good. When you start getting kicked off matters you should worry. I made a lot of mistakes in my first year, and was able to rebound nicely in the second year. I'd try to just keep plowing through until you reach your goal and then coast if you want out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Had a good set of midterm reviews, haven't quite had my full year review yet. I've just been crushed with work for months on end and it's starting to affect my work product despite my best efforts.

I was one of the top couple associates in my first year class in terms of hours billed, was moderately but not exceptionally efficient (ie wasn't padding hours or whatever) but like you it started to affect my work product and I made a couple not great mistakes. Got ripped pretty hard in my review. Still to be seen if it's recoverable, but, hey, not fired yet.

If you only need six months to be loan secure that's awesome and I probably wouldn't worry about it too much. A lot of firms do something like 3 months salary + website time if they do kick you out. I would also wager that my experience was the outlier and most places are going to basically be happy that you're billing a lot as long as your mistakes aren't like the product of chronic sloppiness or like case-jeopardizingly bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Every firm is different. I was given the talk 3 months after making my bonus and about 4 months after an entirely positive review. A friend of mine was given the talk during his first post-clerkship year even while he was somewhat busy. At most firms, though, I'd wager you'd be safe as long as you're getting a decent amount of work.

Return to “Legal Employment�