Thank you Notes - Requirement?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KijiStewart

Bronze

Re: Thank you Notes - Requirement?

Postby KijiStewart » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:51 pm

sublime wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
sublime wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:What about a thank you e-mail to a screener interviewer that I connected well with.

Can that hurt?

Yes, it can hurt, and it cannot help.

It can help, although I still wouldn't recommend them.

To the extent it can help, should it be e-mail or handwritten note.

I'm ny biglaw, and a well written, thoughtful thank you note could get me from maybe to yes, but the practical problem with handwritten notes is that my evaluation will be in before I get a handwritten note.

And depending on work, it may be too late for an email thank you note too.

Honestly, for me, generic thank you notes are not worth it. Ones that thoughtfully address what we talked about may be helpful. This is my personal opinion as an interviewer though.

Is an e-mail thank you to the interviewer who ended up inviting me to a callback OBLIGATORY or a waste of his/her time

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:54 pm

KijiStewart wrote:
sublime wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
sublime wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:What about a thank you e-mail to a screener interviewer that I connected well with.

Can that hurt?

I'm ny biglaw, and a well written, thoughtful thank you note could get me from maybe to yes, but the practical problem with handwritten notes is that my evaluation will be in before I get a handwritten note.

Honestly, for me, generic thank you notes are not worth it. Ones that thoughtfully address what we talked about may be helpful. This is my personal opinion as an interviewer though.

Is an e-mail thank you to the interviewer who ended up inviting me to a callback OBLIGATORY or a waste of his/her time

Acknowledging the email is obligatory. Drives me nuts when people don't acknowledge those (and I hate thank you notes).

Aergia

New

Postby Aergia » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
sublime wrote:
KijiStewart wrote:
sublime wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

Can that hurt?

Acknowledging the email is obligatory. Drives me nuts when people don't acknowledge those (and I hate thank you notes).

Do you mean it drives you nuts if you actually e-mail an interviewee and s/he never responds with a thank you or does it drive you nuts if you leave a vmail or whatever inviting them to a callback (with no e-mail ) and they don't send you a thank you note? Or both?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:35 am

I've never called without emailing as well but it is the not responding to the email that drives me nuts. I don't care if they say thank you or not but I do like to make sure they received the message (as it is the only one they will receive).

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:00 am

I generally dislike the cultural institution of thank-you notes, but I'm pretty indifferent as to whether a candidate sends them. I've never had one change my opinion of a candidate one way or another. That said, I suppose there are some interviewers who think they are important etiquette. Likely can't hurt your case unless you send one with glaring errors.

Return to “Legal Employment�