Tell Summer Firm I am Accepting Another Firm's Offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Tell Summer Firm I am Accepting Another Firm's Offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:42 pm

I split my summer, and I am ever so slightly worried I will not get an offer at the second firm (this is my last week there). Even if I did get an offer, I am set on accepting the offer from the first firm.

When should I tell this firm thanks but no thanks? I'd rather not give them a chance to reject me, so I figure I should send an email after my last day/before they get to the hiring panel, but I wonder if there are any downsides to this I am missing.

cfcm

Silver

Re: Tell Summer Firm I am Accepting Another Firm's Offer?

Postby cfcm » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:48 pm

What are the upsides?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:49 pm

After you accept the offer from the other firm, which you shouldn't do until you've completed your duty at your current firm.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:01 pm

cfcm wrote:What are the upsides?

Yes, I don't understand what the upsides are to this arrangement? Are you worried about having to tell future employers that you were not offered by the firm, so you're trying to pre-empt that eventuality?
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PrizeFighter

Bronze

Postby PrizeFighter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:07 pm

runinthefront wrote:

Yes, I don't understand what the upsides are to this arrangement? Are you worried about having to tell future employers that you were not offered by the firm, so you're trying to pre-empt that eventuality?

Basically. I'm not sure it would ever come up, but I'd rather be able to say I turned them down before they made a decision. Not sure this is really an "upside," but I also do not see a downside.

edit: lol at outing myself.

MrT

Bronze

Postby MrT » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:09 pm

PrizeFighter wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

Basically. I'm not sure it would ever come up, but I'd rather be able to say I turned them down before they made a decision. Not sure this is really an "upside," but I also do not see a downside.

It literally will never come up.

PrizeFighter

Bronze

Postby PrizeFighter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:14 pm

MrT wrote:
PrizeFighter wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

It literally will never come up.

That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:06 pm

There is zero upside to telling them now. Wait until you are done with the summer program, accept the other firm's offer, then tell your second firm that you really loved the firm and everyone but you are taking another offer. It's better to leave the second firm with a positive impression of you, especially if there is *any* chance that you might come back later (and this actually happens - one of our associates summered here, went to his/her 1L summer firm out of law school, then lateraled back here as a junior associate).

Return to “Legal Employment�