Got an offer that I don't want from summer firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Got an offer that I don't want from summer firm

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:54 am

I have to let my summer firm know whether I reject or accept their offer by September. The problem is I didn't like the firm this summer. It has about 30 attorneys, and it's in a crappy area. It's right outside of a huge market where I eventually want to be (and where I'm from), which means I will need to take two bar exams if I take this job and then move to the big market later. Base salary is $65k. I highly doubt I'll have another job offer within the next month. If I accept and later rescind after finding something else that is hopefully better (in terms of pay and firm culture), how bad are the consequences? I can't be the only one in a position like this?

MrT

Bronze

Re: Got an offer that I don't want from summer firm

Post by MrT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have to let my summer firm know whether I reject or accept their offer by September. The problem is I didn't like the firm this summer. It has about 30 attorneys, and it's in a crappy area. It's right outside of a huge market where I eventually want to be (and where I'm from), which means I will need to take two bar exams if I take this job and then move to the big market later. Base salary is $65k. I highly doubt I'll have another job offer within the next month. If I accept and later rescind after finding something else that is hopefully better (in terms of pay and firm culture), how bad are the consequences? I can't be the only one in a position like this?
You're seemingly talking about NY/NJ. If that's the case, only one bar exam would be necessary. Same would apply for the MVD area. I say take the gig and start searching. You're not guaranteed to find anything and having a gap on the resume certainly won't help.

magnum_law

Bronze

Post by magnum_law » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:22 am

Obviously not the most ethical thing to do, but you need to look out for #1. Take the offer and renege if you find something that you believe is better suited for you, especially if you'd be leaving to a different market. If the tables were turned and the economy went sour, the firm would probably rescind the offer in a heartbeat.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:59 pm

magnum_law wrote:Obviously not the most ethical thing to do, but you need to look out for #1. Take the offer and renege if you find something that you believe is better suited for you, especially if you'd be leaving to a different market. If the tables were turned and the economy went sour, the firm would probably rescind the offer in a heartbeat.
What rule of professional responsibility states that you cannot renege an acceptance of an offer?

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:22 pm

kykiske wrote:
magnum_law wrote:Obviously not the most ethical thing to do, but you need to look out for #1. Take the offer and renege if you find something that you believe is better suited for you, especially if you'd be leaving to a different market. If the tables were turned and the economy went sour, the firm would probably rescind the offer in a heartbeat.
What rule of professional responsibility states that you cannot renege an acceptance of an offer?
none. there's no ethics (or even morality) issue. accept the offer and keep looking for something else, OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:33 pm

Pleasye wrote:
kykiske wrote:
none. there's no ethics (or even morality) issue. accept the offer and keep looking for something else, OP.
Pretty much what I was getting at. Yeah, you may "feel" bad for accepting an offer, and then reneging it, but if the offer that comes along next is significantly better, there is no ethical or moral rule that prevents you from taking it.

Of course. Be a professional. If you were to start at place A, and then place B offers you the job you want, then still give place A the proper notice.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have to let my summer firm know whether I reject or accept their offer by September. The problem is I didn't like the firm this summer. It has about 30 attorneys, and it's in a crappy area. It's right outside of a huge market where I eventually want to be (and where I'm from), which means I will need to take two bar exams if I take this job and then move to the big market later. Base salary is $65k. I highly doubt I'll have another job offer within the next month. If I accept and later rescind after finding something else that is hopefully better (in terms of pay and firm culture), how bad are the consequences? I can't be the only one in a position like this?
One of the things you'll need to learn throughout your life is how to deal with a guilty conscience. Accept the offer and renege if something better comes along. Look out for #1.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”