Any tips when dealing with the following firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any tips when dealing with the following firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:31 am

I have been offered interviews with the following firms:

Kirkland (Houston)
K &L (Charlotte)
Arnall (ATL)

Does anybody have any tips or insider information about the SA Program/ Firm Culture/etc.?

Also, does being offered an interview mean that my current GPA no longer matters, and it's all about personality from here on out?

Nagster5

Silver

Re: Any tips when dealing with the following firms?

Postby Nagster5 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Also, does being offered an interview mean that my current GPA no longer matters, and it's all about personality from here on out?

Kind of, it means your resume is satisfactory to get an offer. Your grades still factor into the decision. For example, all other things being equal, they're going to take the top 10% candidate over the one who just made their cutoffs. It also depends on firm. Some have pretty much made up their mind once you get the CB and are trying to sell you on the firm assuming you can fog a piece of glass, while others are really looking to find or weed out certain traits/personalities.

cbbinnyc

Bronze

Postby cbbinnyc » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:44 am

Not sure about those specific firms, but re: your second question, yes and no. If you are offered an interview by the firm, that means that your GPA is good enough for them to consider you. However, from what I understand, your GPA is still a factor in the firm's holistic review (e.g., if they have two candidates who interviewed well, but can only make one offer, they might take the candidate with better stats). Probably firm dependent, though.
ETA: scooped

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:47 am

cbbinnyc wrote:Not sure about those specific firms, but re: your second question, yes and no. If you are offered an interview by the firm, that means that your GPA is good enough for them to consider you. However, from what I understand, your GPA is still a factor in the firm's holistic review (e.g., if they have two candidates who interviewed well, but can only make one offer, they might take the candidate with better stats). Probably firm dependent, though.
ETA: scooped

I think this is the correct answer, from my experience. Getting a callback simply means that two people at a table at your school that you talked to for a few minutes determined that you were callback-worthy. Others at the firm can still torpedo you for any reason, including GPA, etc.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:21 am

My general advice is to (1) know what work they do in the office and have credible reasons why you want to do that work and (2) have a reasonable story of why you want to work in these markets. It looks like you mass mailed across the South based on these three cities so you're gonna have to have believable stories for why you want to work in each of Atlanta, Charlotte, and Houston.

As far as Kirkland Houston, the office is pretty much all Corporate work and there's a thread on TLS you should read about the office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:57 am

I have tons of connections at Arnall and can give you a gist of the firm's personality. Arnall is very proud of their Georgia base and Atlanta reputation. You need to have connections to Atlanta, show desire to be in Atlanta, and come off as someone who will start and stay in Atlanta (at least for a bit).

Return to “Legal Employment�