Missed Call from Law Firm Number

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
pauleycat

New

Missed Call from Law Firm Number

Postby pauleycat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:46 pm

I finished my law school's New York interview program last Friday, and have started to get a few CBs. I missed a call about thirty minutes ago from a NYC number. As soon as I saw I had missed the call, I looked up the number and saw it was from a law firm I had interviewed with. They didn't leave a voicemail, so I tried calling back. It was just the generic office number, and the operator couldn't direct my call unless he knew who I was trying to reach.
I'm really freaking out-- have I just shot myself in the foot by not answering, or is it likely the firm might try to call again? Should I try calling back tomorrow during business hours and trying to reach the interviewer?
Thanks for any advice/help :oops:

New

Re: Missed Call from Law Firm Number

Postby 20181989 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:47 pm

They'll call again.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:53 pm

IME it's odd they didn't leave a voicemail. Do you have your voicemail set up with your name and a greeting? If so then they'll call back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:56 pm

Mullens wrote:IME it's odd they didn't leave a voicemail. Do you have your voicemail set up with your name and a greeting? If so then they'll call back.

Yeah, I just called myself to make sure my VM and greeting are set up. Hopefully they'll call back soon!

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mullens wrote:IME it's odd they didn't leave a voicemail. Do you have your voicemail set up with your name and a greeting? If so then they'll call back.

Yeah, I just called myself to make sure my VM and greeting are set up. Hopefully they'll call back soon!

You're fine. It's probably the person you interviewed with and they're likely just trying fit the calls into their busy schedule.

kykiske

Bronze

Postby kykiske » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:14 pm

Mullens wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You're fine. It's probably the person you interviewed with and they're likely just trying fit the calls into their busy schedule.

If it's been a few days, then look up the recruiter's number on the firm's website. No harm in shooting him/her a buzz to note that you received a call from them and are following up.

Barrred

Bronze

Postby Barrred » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:16 pm

PSA: Make sure your voicemail box isnt full. This happened to a friend of mine around OCI time because she was getting so many voicemails.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Postby iamgeorgebush » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:28 pm

Don't freak out; if they're calling you back, they're not going to change their minds because you didn't pick up the phone. In fact, when I was doing OCI, it was standard practice not to pick up the phone and just let firms leave VMs. (This was at least partly because other law students were often around, and it's kind of rude to pick up a CB call in the presence of other law students, who might not have any CBs yet.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:59 pm

pauleycat wrote:I finished my law school's New York interview program last Friday, and have started to get a few CBs. I missed a call about thirty minutes ago from a NYC number. As soon as I saw I had missed the call, I looked up the number and saw it was from a law firm I had interviewed with. They didn't leave a voicemail, so I tried calling back. It was just the generic office number, and the operator couldn't direct my call unless he knew who I was trying to reach.
I'm really freaking out-- have I just shot myself in the foot by not answering, or is it likely the firm might try to call again? Should I try calling back tomorrow during business hours and trying to reach the interviewer?
Thanks for any advice/help :oops:

This happened to me during OCI. Call was from a V10 firm a few hours after I interviewed with them, no voicemail. I called the main number back three times, left three voicemails, giving the name of the partner who interviewed me, my school, the recruiting contact at the firm, etc. Got no reply. Called the partner's office and left a vm there as well. Nobody from the firm ever returned my call or even sent me an email to say "sorry, the call was a mistake." Fuck that firm.

Return to “Legal Employment�