Suing for Unpaid Wages - Harmful to Legal Career?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Suing for Unpaid Wages - Harmful to Legal Career?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:33 pm

edit
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jlittletree

New

Re: Suing for Unpaid Wages - Harmful to Legal Career?

Postby jlittletree » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:55 pm

Well, for starters, its pretty clear from this post that you have not actually attended law school, and if you did, I certainly would not want you as my tutor. See, e.g., http://www.wcb.ny.gov/content/main/onth ... wIntro.jsp

user has been outed for anon abuse

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:37 pm

jlittletree wrote:Well, for starters, its pretty clear from this post that you have not actually attended law school, and if you did, I certainly would not want you as my tutor. See, e.g., http://www.wcb.ny.gov/content/main/onth ... wIntro.jsp

user has been outed for anon abuse

Workers comp is not tested on the bar or taught in top-law-schools. I appreciate the link though.

sunnyhopeful

New

Postby sunnyhopeful » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:16 pm

Could it just be a oversight/have you tried confronting Barbi about the missing pay before considering a suit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:32 pm

edit
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iamgeorgebush

Silver

Postby iamgeorgebush » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:57 pm

How would a firm know that you sued? I know judgments against a person can come up on credit checks, but complaints filed by a person? I suppose the firm could find out if they wanted, but I kind of doubt that firms are running checks to see whom you've sued. (I'm assuming you're not using them as a reference.)

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:33 am

How much $ we are talking about?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:26 am

I'd stand up for yourself. But just threatening suit may be enough to get them to cough it up, so try that first. I'm guessing this is a small enough amount that it will go to small claims or a similar forum. On one hand, that will be less work for you, and maybe faster, but on the other it can be its own circle of hell.

BTW I think what the other poster was getting at is this isn't a workers comp situation. That's for on the job injuries. I'd do some research to make sure you understand what causes of action you have here so you can send them a credibly threatening letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:58 am

Pokemon wrote:How much $ we are talking about?

A few thousand. It mattered less when I was in big law, but more now. I was being billed out at ~400/hour, and based on what they've currently paid me earned about $15-20/hour. The most frustrating part is it isn't like I can say, "well, the company went bankrupt, and paid what it could". It was either a mistake that should have been fixed right away but has not been or completely unethical.

BlueParrot

New

Postby BlueParrot » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Is Barbri really screwing people over like this? I'm not sure what the process for a small suit like this is, but it seems like you should definitely try to work up the chain at Barbri if possible and get some answers before suing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the suit impacting your career though if it does come to that.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:27 pm

If it's something you can file in small claims, my experience is the first to file the action tends to be the winner. My guess is as soon as they receive the summons they will reach out to settle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:14 pm

Applied some pressure, and it was effective. Phewww.

Return to “Legal Employment�