Question about ties to Florida. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Southend97

New

Question about ties to Florida.

Post by Southend97 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:50 am

I attended the University of Miami for 2 years as an undergrad and enjoyed my time there but was forced to transfer due to health and money issues. I now attend school in Texas but would like to return to South Florida to work for a year before I apply to law schools. I know ties are very important to break into the Miami market and I'm wondering if my circumstances are good enough for consideration for a government or big law job in Miami?

Ronan

Gold

Re: Question about ties to Florida.

Post by Ronan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:11 am

I'm assuming having the U on your resume for UG will garner some interest. But you will most likely have to explain your reason for leaving. If it's for what you say it is, I doubt it will be a problem.

Southend97

New

Post by Southend97 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks a lot! This is what I was hoping

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:29 pm

how necessary is it to know spanish for a market like miami? i presume having spanish will significantly boost your chances but it is possible to find a firm without the spanish skills?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:33 pm

Knowing Spanish is of course a plus but it is not a requirement, at least not in large firms where a lot of the work is shared between offices (many of which are in cities not dominated by Spanish). I did OCI in Miami last year, and only one of the attorneys at one of the firms I interviewed with asked about my ability to speak Spanish (and that was during a callback).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:05 am

If you tell them that you want to come back, and you work in Miami for a year before coming to law school, you'll be fine. What the firms in Miami worrying about is paying someone 6 digits, which since you're basically useless your first couple of years is a big investment, and then you going somewhere else.

Spanish won't be as important as you think it is because so many people speak it anyways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”