Got a month of website time left - talk to me

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Got a month of website time left - talk to me

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:25 am

So, long story short, I'm a third year corp associate in a secondary market, and 2 months ago I was told that I had 3 months to find a new job. I still haven't found a new job, and I'm not sure what comes next. Taking thoughts and suggestions.

Some backstory: my firm was slow in the beginning of the year (and I was feeling pretty burned out), so I started looking at other firms. I unfortunately didn't get much traction. My focus in corp is sort of a hybrid corporate position, and I think that's been turning people off. After a couple months of job searching, I'd applied to most of the local firms I was interested in without success, so I stopped looking. About 2 weeks later, I got "the talk." 3 months to move on; I don't have to go home, but I can't stay here.

The timing was sort of unfortunate, because I had basically already applied to all the law firm openings in my secondary market. I ended up applying to NYC instead, and I've had 2 interviews there. One has resulted in a rejection, and the other resulted in a callback (still waiting on results; fingers crossed). More stuff has been coming on the market lately, in both NYC and my secondary market, but I'm worried that with 1 month left on the calendar, anything I apply to at this point I'm likely to run out of website time, which could get awkward for me. I've also been applying to in-house positions, but I haven't been getting a ton of traction there (I think I'm a little junior, still).

Pokemon

Gold

Re: Got a month of website time left - talk to me

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:31 am

Can you ask for more time?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:47 am

Start looking at compliance positions/ JD preferred positions. Also apply to smaller and midsized law firms outside of the Vault 100.

Communicate with your current employer that you are having difficulty finding a job and ask them for help.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:56 am

Pokemon wrote:Can you ask for more time?

Haven't asked yet. I'll be asking soon.

Anonymous User wrote:Start looking at compliance positions/ JD preferred positions. Also apply to smaller and midsized law firms outside of the Vault 100.

Communicate with your current employer that you are having difficulty finding a job and ask them for help.

I'm applying to a bunch of smaller/midsized firms. The problem is there aren't many in my secondary market, but hopefully one of the firms in NYC pans out.

Will open the lines up with my employer soon to see what they say.

Do I really have to start looking at compliance stuff now? I'm honestly kind of curious as to how bad it will be if I have a gap on my resume that I have to explain. I feel like I should have a decent explanation - my hours were good and there wasn't a problem, then my hours slowed down and I was let go. One of my partners is willing to be a reference. I don't think the problem was really related to my work product; more a result of slowdown.

thexfactor

Silver

Postby thexfactor » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:24 am

I would be applying everywhere right now, including inhouse too. The problem that you had was that a lot of places don't really hire in the summer time. Hiring is about to pick up again in the fall.

Ask them for more time. I think they will probably give you more time if you are genuinely in need.

The presumption for most employers if you have a resume gap is that you were let go for work product reasons. You don't want to have to explain those things. It just makes it harder for you to get another job.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Pokemon wrote:Can you ask for more time?

Haven't asked yet. I'll be asking soon.

Anonymous User wrote:Start looking at compliance positions/ JD preferred positions. Also apply to smaller and midsized law firms outside of the Vault 100.

I'm applying to a bunch of smaller/midsized firms. The problem is there aren't many in my secondary market, but hopefully one of the firms in NYC pans out.

Will open the lines up with my employer soon to see what they say.

Do I really have to start looking at compliance stuff now? I'm honestly kind of curious as to how bad it will be if I have a gap on my resume that I have to explain. I feel like I should have a decent explanation - my hours were good and there wasn't a problem, then my hours slowed down and I was let go. One of my partners is willing to be a reference. I don't think the problem was really related to my work product; more a result of slowdown.

Not to be the bearer of bad news I would be skeptical of the partner willing to be a reference. Like in no universe would they want to admit that things were slow at their firm so they let go of otherwise good associates.

But you landing on your feet is win win for both you and firm, so try to get more website time

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:02 pm

Pokemon wrote:Not to be the bearer of bad news I would be skeptical of the partner willing to be a reference. Like in no universe would they want to admit that things were slow at their firm so they let go of otherwise good associates.

But you landing on your feet is win win for both you and firm, so try to get more website time

Touche. If my partner doesn't go to bad for me on that front though, I will be super-fucked after the website time ends. I'll definitely have to ask for more website time and see what happens.

elendinel

Silver

Postby elendinel » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:19 pm

The partner can be a reference without disclosing the reason why OP is leaving; it wouldn't be unusual for the partner to not know the intricacies of why OP decided to leave the firm, so it's easy to dodge any "why do you think OP is leaving" questions, if they even come up. The partner isn't likely to embellish on your behalf (i.e., the partner's not going to claim your billables were stellar if they weren't, even if the group as a whole was slow), but they probably aren't going to agree to be a reference and then tell people you were an inefficient associate, either.

Always make sure you trust your potential reference, as a general rule, though; if you don't trust someone to have your best interests in mind, don't include them as a reference. If you have some other reason to suspect this partner may not be your best advocate, don't hesitate to find someone else.

OutCold

Bronze

Postby OutCold » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:31 am

I think the best move for those who are asked to leave is to apply to other markets with ties, especially home markets. That gives you the opportunity to easily explain away the desire to lateral.

Return to “Legal Employment�