DOJ Antitrust

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
antitrustguru

New

DOJ Antitrust

Postby antitrustguru » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Does anyone have any specific insight into the hiring freeze in place at DOJ Antitrust?

It is unclear to me whether it is related to (1) lack of funding for the division in the proposed 2018 budget, (2) the DOJ's pending "reorganization plan, (3) or the Trump administration's aversion to antitrust enforcement in general. Is the freeze expected to last for the 4-8 year duration of the Trump presidency, or is it more short-term?

Other DOJ components, even those that aren't priorities of the Trump administration, have posted some lateral vacancies since Trump took office (e.g., Civil division, Civil Rights division, ENRD). But the Antitrust division has not, which seems odd.

Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Antitrust

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:22 pm

Where are you getting this information?

The freeze expired in April. DOJ Honors is open. Is there another (unannounced) freeze?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:11 pm

I think OP may be referring to the fact that the Antitrust division went from having 22 positions available via DOJ Honors last year to having 2 available this year.

antitrustguru

New

Postby antitrustguru » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:04 pm

To clarify the original question:

The federal government-wide hiring freeze has been lifted. However, my understanding is that the DOJ Antitrust division has maintained a hiring freeze since Trump took office. That is why, to my knowledge, no lateral vacancies have been posted on the DOJ website since the Trump presidency began. Under normal circumstances, several vacancies would have been advertised by now.

It is true that the Division continues to hire at extremely reduced rates through DOJ Honors (e.g. 2 people a year, far below the replacement rate). But the freeze is still in place, according to employees of the Division. The limited hiring through DOJ Honors is just an exception to the freeze.

Return to “Legal Employment�