Chances at Gibson Dunn?: Around 3.8 and LR at UT/Vandy/UCLA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chances at Gibson Dunn?: Around 3.8 and LR at UT/Vandy/UCLA

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:12 pm

Just wondering what my chances are at Gibson Dunn. Specifically Dallas or LA office. I go to UT, Vandy, or UCLA and have around a 3.8 and LR. Should be somewhere from top 15% to top 10%.

BulletTooth

Bronze

Re: Chances at Gibson Dunn?: Around 3.8 and LR at UT/Vandy/UCLA

Postby BulletTooth » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:15 pm

You've probably got a good shot depending on which Gibson office you are applying for. My impression is that Gibson is looking to hire more on personality than some similarly situated firms. Of course, grades are still hugely important, but it seems like they are really looking at personality first and foremost and then confirming that the grades meet their requirements.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:19 pm

BulletTooth wrote:You've probably got a good shot depending on which Gibson office you are applying for. My impression is that Gibson is looking to hire more on personality than some similarly situated firms. Of course, grades are still hugely important, but it seems like they are really looking at personality first and foremost and then confirming that the grades meet their requirements.

Thanks! Yeah, I heard they really value personality fit. But, I've heard they also really value grades compared to some other firms. Like typically around Top 10% for lower T-14 and for T-20 schools. I might be right on the edge of that for my school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Former GDC summer. At my HYS, personality was definitely the make or break issue once you were over a certain threshold (which wasn't as high as people around here allege).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Former GDC summer. At my HYS, personality was definitely the make or break issue once you were over a certain threshold (which wasn't as high as people around here allege).

seconded - current GDC summer, and I agree that after you have the grades it's all about fit, particularly at a smaller office but even in LA

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Former GDC summer. At my HYS, personality was definitely the make or break issue once you were over a certain threshold (which wasn't as high as people around here allege).

seconded - current GDC summer, and I agree that after you have the grades it's all about fit, particularly at a smaller office but even in LA

So, grades-wise would you guess I'm above the threshold?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So, grades-wise would you guess I'm above the threshold?

I don't know what the threshold is outside T14, but my guess is you're fine on that front

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:51 pm

If UCLA, floor for gibson LA is 3.6 + LR (or at least that's my understanding).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:03 am

At Penn, my friends with above 3.8 all got callbacks at GDC. But its true you need to be the right "fit"

Return to “Legal Employment�