DA's offices that are more likely to hire former interns?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zarzamora

New

DA's offices that are more likely to hire former interns?

Postby zarzamora » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:30 am

Hey y'all. I'm a rising 2L who is very interested in prosecution. This summer, I have an internship with a law enforcement agency but since I want to be a prosecutor, I figure next summer I should intern at a DA's office where I want to work after law school. I go to a T1 school in the mountain west that is pretty regional, but also places well in other west coast states. While I wouldn't mind staying here, I am from a huge city in the midwest I am also totally open to moving pretty much anywhere in the US, just preferably to a large city.

My question is- do y'all have any insight into which DA's offices tend to hire former interns and which ones are so competitive that it interning there wouldn't really be an advantage? Right now I'm looking all over the place- LA, OC, Cook County, Clark County, Denver, Philly, Fulton County, Dallas etc. I have moved around a lot, so I could play up my ties to a lot of regions/cities. So assuming I could get an internship anywhere (I know this is a huge assumption), which internships would probably lead to full time jobs? Any advice or insight is appreciated, thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: DA's offices that are more likely to hire former interns?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:53 am

NY County (Manhattan) is definitely known for this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:NY County (Manhattan) is definitely known for this

Wondering whether you speak from experience on this, or is it anecdotal? NY County certainly has to be one of the top and most competitive DA offices to acquire a post-grad job.

Thanks for your input.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:43 pm

A friend was an intern at the Brooklyn DAs office and now works there full time (first job out of law school.) Not sure if thats a common thing they do but it worked for this person.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:35 pm

All of them?

Some are better known for drawing from their intern classes (Manhattan, Philadelphia, etc.), but you're always going to be in a stronger position as a former intern, so long as you impressed your supervisors.

lnh819

Bronze

Postby lnh819 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:33 pm

Dallas and nearby Collin County are both known for this. I suspect Tarrant (Fort Worth) also prefers interns heavily.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:NY County (Manhattan) is definitely known for this

Wondering whether you speak from experience on this, or is it anecdotal? NY County certainly has to be one of the top and most competitive DA offices to acquire a post-grad job.

Thanks for your input.

I personally don't work there, but I think it's pretty common knowledge that you have a very high chance of getting a full-time if you do your 2L summer there

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:27 am

It's common sense because it's an extended interview to see chemistry with the office. Good

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:35 am

This is purely anecdotal and neither of us know for sure what was going on: but a friend of mine interned at Brooklyn DA and got through her three rounds while only being asked one five-minute hypo. She doesn't consider herself a strong interviewer and strongly suspects her supervisors gave her great recs which allowed her to have a pretty easy interview process. She was grilled a lot more in the interviews with offices where she hadn't interned.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Postby BlendedUnicorn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:43 pm

I'm not sure that there's a DA office in the country that doesn't give an advantage to interns assuming they do well and are well liked.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:13 pm

Miami SAO likes to hire former interns. A large percentage of my starting "class" were former interns (I was not).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:30 pm

BlendedUnicorn wrote:I'm not sure that there's a DA office in the country that doesn't give an advantage to interns assuming they do well and are well liked.

This.

Nashville hires exclusively from interns.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:15 pm

I used to work in the San Diego office and they almost exclusively hire interns.

Return to “Legal Employment�