Callback interview materials

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback interview materials

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:40 am

Is it customary to give references and a writing sample at a callback even if they don't request them?

I feel weird giving them to interviewers because it comes off as random. So I was wondering if this is something everyone does or if you just go with the flow and have them ready if they ask

MrT

Bronze

Re: Callback interview materials

Postby MrT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is it customary to give references and a writing sample at a callback even if they don't request them?

I feel weird giving them to interviewers because it comes off as random. So I was wondering if this is something everyone does or if you just go with the flow and have them ready if they ask

The latter. If they want your references, or any other materials for that matter, they will ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:58 am

Have done multiple pre-OCI callbacks. Did not give out a single thing in any of them. All of the interviewers will have your resume. Recruiting/Hiring committee have your transcript. The padfolio has remain closed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:00 am

What's consensus on having a writing sample with you? Is it OK to say "I'll email you one" or should we definitely keep it in our folder?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:10 am

No risk in keeping one on you. Have never had anyone request it, however.

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's consensus on having a writing sample with you? Is it OK to say "I'll email you one" or should we definitely keep it in our folder?

Better to have it on you just in case. Same thing with resumes, transcripts, and references. There's a small chance that someone asks for your writing sample and it's a really bad look if you're unprepared and don't have it on you.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:30 am

Mullens wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's consensus on having a writing sample with you? Is it OK to say "I'll email you one" or should we definitely keep it in our folder?

Better to have it on you just in case. Same thing with resumes, transcripts, and references. There's a small chance that someone asks for your writing sample and it's a really bad look if you're unprepared and don't have it on you.

Wrong. It's better to have it on you, sure, but it's not a "really bad look" to not have it. There were two OCI interviews I didn't have my writing sample, interviewers requested it, told them I would email it to them, and they were cool with it (got callbacks for both).

Mullens

Silver

Postby Mullens » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:13 am

acr wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Wrong. It's better to have it on you, sure, but it's not a "really bad look" to not have it. There were two OCI interviews I didn't have my writing sample, interviewers requested it, told them I would email it to them, and they were cool with it (got callbacks for both).

Just because you got callbacks despite looking and being unprepared doesn't mean it's okay or not a "really bad look." You have 20-30 minutes to make a good impression on people and not being prepared is far from the best strategy.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:26 am

Mullens wrote:
acr wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Just because you got callbacks despite looking and being unprepared doesn't mean it's okay or not a "really bad look." You have 20-30 minutes to make a good impression on people and not being prepared is far from the best strategy.

Nah, still wrong. Also didn't know you were an expert on when someone looks "unprepared." You sound more like a neurotic lawyer/law student who thinks minor details like having to follow up with a writing sample via email is somehow bad.

Lawnghorn_2018

New

Postby Lawnghorn_2018 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:11 pm

acr wrote:
Mullens wrote:
acr wrote:
Mullens wrote:

Nah, still wrong. Also didn't know you were an expert on when someone looks "unprepared." You sound more like a neurotic lawyer/law student who thinks minor details like having to follow up with a writing sample via email is somehow bad.

Bottom line, you can only benefit from having a writing sample with you. A lawyer will never be more impressed if, upon asking for a writing sample, you don't have one on your person as opposed to having one.

I would guess many lawyers wouldn't think you were unprepared for not having a writing sample, but some lawyers may think you are on the ball if you do have one.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:19 am

acr wrote:
Mullens wrote:
acr wrote:
Mullens wrote:

I had an interview (albeit back when I was doing OCI) with a regional firm where one of the interviewers was an older partner who did some standardized process of literally asking for all my materials (and putting them into a binder; while the young associate had all my stuff out in front of them). I think in this weird instance it would of been an interview trainwreck if I didn't have all my materials.

KijiStewart

Bronze

Postby KijiStewart » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:52 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:
acr wrote:
Mullens wrote:
acr wrote:
Mullens wrote:

I had an interview (albeit back when I was doing OCI) with a regional firm where one of the interviewers was an older partner who did some standardized process of literally asking for all my materials (and putting them into a binder; while the young associate had all my stuff out in front of them). I think in this weird instance it would of been an interview trainwreck if I didn't have all my materials.

For references, is it just a sheet with 2 profs and 1 supervising associate from 1L summer contact info or actually a written letter of rec from them?

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:40 pm

KijiStewart wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:
acr wrote:
Mullens wrote:
acr wrote:
Mullens wrote:

For references, is it just a sheet with 2 profs and 1 supervising associate from 1L summer contact info or actually a written letter of rec from them?

No need for a written letter. Just names, titles, and contact info.

Return to “Legal Employment�