Thank-you notes after summer internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CoLolliRol

New

Thank-you notes after summer internship?

Postby CoLolliRol » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:02 pm

In general, I wanted to write thank-you notes for all the lawyers that have helped me over my (1L) summer. Are thank-you notes a common thing or are they taboo? I was originally going to buy a stack but it seems that email is the more common form.

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Thank-you notes after summer internship?

Postby Lincoln » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:47 pm

I would think it was weird, unless this is a tiny place, like a judge's chambers or something.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:00 pm

I work in big law in LA.

We had a medium sized summer class at my firm. One of the summers wrote me a thank you note and left it on my desk. I think she did this for only a handful of attorneys. I thought it was super classy and showed her maturity and kindness. I don't think any less of the other summers, just more of her now.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion on this, but that's just how I viewed it.

cj_dawhg713

New

Postby cj_dawhg713 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:16 pm

I don't think you can ever go wrong with hand writing a thank you note. People appreciate them and it is never "weird" to say thank you.

totally agree with the above poster. it is classy, and shows maturity.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:33 pm

Not common. Not taboo. Go ahead if you want to.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:45 pm

I do not understand why people are saying this is weird.

I wrote notes during my summer to partners I worked a lot with + my associate mentor + my partner mentor + office managing + hiring partner

Super simple notes. Just basically thanks for having my and thanks for letting me work with you. Granted my office (firm is biglaw but this office not largest outpost) was <70 people at time. no one thought it was weird, I get several personal calls back from people telling me they appreciated it.

Summer this year gave me a thank you note since I worked with him on something and I wrote him a very good review.

I think it can show maturity and class.

I might think differently if you are in a summer class of like 40 people and are in an office with 150+. If you are in a decently small summer class though (under 10-15) and you'e worked with a few partners or associates closely, absolutely fine to write them a note. Unless they are a jackass. Don't write jackasses notes.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:47 pm

favabeansoup wrote: Don't write jackasses notes.

The most truth ever said on TLS.

lolwat

Silver

Postby lolwat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:00 pm

favabeansoup wrote:I do not understand why people are saying this is weird.

I wrote notes during my summer to partners I worked a lot with + my associate mentor + my partner mentor + office managing + hiring partner

Super simple notes. Just basically thanks for having my and thanks for letting me work with you. Granted my office (firm is biglaw but this office not largest outpost) was <70 people at time. no one thought it was weird, I get several personal calls back from people telling me they appreciated it.

Summer this year gave me a thank you note since I worked with him on something and I wrote him a very good review.

I think it can show maturity and class.

I might think differently if you are in a summer class of like 40 people and are in an office with 150+. If you are in a decently small summer class though (under 10-15) and you'e worked with a few partners or associates closely, absolutely fine to write them a note. Unless they are a jackass. Don't write jackasses notes.

I think it's weird because it's uncommon, not because it'll have a negative effect (unless it's full of mistakes or whatever).

Just be smart in how you do it and it should be fine.

Return to “Legal Employment�