Summer Associate Pay Discrepancy

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Summer Associate Pay Discrepancy

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:39 pm

Is it normal for the pay for a summer to not include July 4th? Our whole class thought it was a weekly salary (and many worked over weekends and late nights) but it seems like we've been paid only for weekdays when we were scheduled to be here.

hairbear7

Silver

Re: Summer Associate Pay Discrepancy

Postby hairbear7 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:00 pm

My bimonthly paychecks have been the same regardless of the amount of holidays or work days in that pay period. I think most firms keep it the same, too.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Postby GoneSouth » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal for the pay for a summer to not include July 4th? Our whole class thought it was a weekly salary (and many worked over weekends and late nights) but it seems like we've been paid only for weekdays when we were scheduled to be here.

This seems pretty cheap. We got paid the same every week even though we got both Monday and Tuesday off for Fourth of July.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:52 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it normal for the pay for a summer to not include July 4th? Our whole class thought it was a weekly salary (and many worked over weekends and late nights) but it seems like we've been paid only for weekdays when we were scheduled to be here.

This seems pretty cheap. We got paid the same every week even though we got both Monday and Tuesday off for Fourth of July.

OP here, that's what I thought. We're also getting shorted again for this last PP which is what brought this back up.

frasier

Bronze

Postby frasier » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
GoneSouth wrote:

OP here, that's what I thought. We're also getting shorted again for this last PP which is what brought this back up.

Seems to me that a salaried position—with a clear expectation that work isn't over until the job is done—should not take into account holidays. Comes off as cheap.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:20 pm

It's probably not normal and a little cheap but at the end of the day it's not that much money and what are you going to do about it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:24 pm

jchiles wrote:It's probably not normal and a little cheap but at the end of the day it's not that much money and what are you going to do about it?

I mean, it's about a month's rent by the end with the days we're being shorted...plus it may say something about the firm more broadly worth knowing. You're right there's probably not something to do about it, unless someone has an idea? It's not a huge deal, clearly being an SA is a swanky gig and a privilege to begin with, but I mostly wanted to see if this was typical or not.

gabewatch

Bronze

Postby gabewatch » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:28 pm

I mean, it's about a month's rent by the end with the days we're being shorted...plus it may say something about the firm more broadly worth knowing. You're right there's probably not something to do about it, unless someone has an idea? It's not a huge deal, clearly being an SA is a swanky gig and a privilege to begin with, but I mostly wanted to see if this was typical or not.[/quote]

Idea: threaten to bring a lawsuit, leverage that to get an offer. Pretty standard.

LurkerTurnedMember

Bronze

Postby LurkerTurnedMember » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Have you tried forming a union?

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:15 pm

Out the firm. Once they are shamed they will change policy,

Toni V

Bronze

Postby Toni V » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Is this a 100-V firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:25 am

My firm pays hourly and overtime plus 7.5 extra free hours on holidays

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:44 am

I would ask recruiting. It's conceivable this is something the payroll people did incorrectly and recruiting doesn't know about it. Generally, yeah I would have thought all big firms pay a weekly amount regardless of business days in the week. Holidays are supposed to be paid days off, as they are in pretty much any salaried job. That's why they're holidays.

Return to “Legal Employment?