Escape from New York

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 316488
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Escape from New York

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:43 am

I am from California and work in NY. I am a junior corporate bankruptcy attorney in a debtor shop.

I want to move back to California, but would have to take the bar/find a job. My hours are bad usually above 200 a month. Dont know how to study for the bar with the workload. No CA employer has taken any interest in my application. Frankly, there seems to be very little restructuring work in CA. Should I just up and move back to California. How do people swing this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316488
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Escape from New York

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am from California and work in NY. I am a junior corporate bankruptcy attorney in a debtor shop.

I want to move back to California, but would have to take the bar/find a job. My hours are bad usually above 200 a month. Dont know how to study for the bar with the workload. No CA employer has taken any interest in my application. Frankly, there seems to be very little restructuring work in CA. Should I just up and move back to California. How do people swing this.


What year are you? I've seen a couple of people move themselves into litigation or finance (literally one of each) but they were 1st years and they were mostly pitching themselves based on law school credentials.

You can also look for smaller bankruptcy shops.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316488
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Escape from New York

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:46 am

Finance positions seem to be hiring like crazy right now everywhere. I get hit up like 5x a day for finance work. Pitch yourself as someone that wants to do work concerning company capital structure and structuring of the loan, rather than always being in fire drill situations when a company goes south. Also, California seems to do a lot of PE work, so say you want to work on M&A deals on the acquisition financing side. Debtor-side bankruptcy to finance is a pretty logical move for someone that likes understanding capital structure but wants out of bankruptcy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316488
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Escape from New York

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:44 am

Sort of a related question. I'm a current law student likely going to NY, but will want to go back to California, where my family reside. Is there anyway to take both bar exams before starting as a junior in NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 316488
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Escape from New York

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am from California and work in NY. I am a junior corporate bankruptcy attorney in a debtor shop.

I want to move back to California, but would have to take the bar/find a job. My hours are bad usually above 200 a month. Dont know how to study for the bar with the workload. No CA employer has taken any interest in my application. Frankly, there seems to be very little restructuring work in CA. Should I just up and move back to California. How do people swing this.


What year are you? I've seen a couple of people move themselves into litigation or finance (literally one of each) but they were 1st years and they were mostly pitching themselves based on law school credentials.

You can also look for smaller bankruptcy shops.


Would you suggest op attempts to move groups within his own firm and then to a firm in Cali, or just apply to different groups in california directly?

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2155
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Escape from New York

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sort of a related question. I'm a current law student likely going to NY, but will want to go back to California, where my family reside. Is there anyway to take both bar exams before starting as a junior in NY?

If you are at NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Fordham, et al. (i.e., a New York school), you could do the 'pro bono scholars' program and take the NY Bar in the February of your 3L year? Absent that, I'm not sure.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316488
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Escape from New York

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:08 pm

There is no options to move within firm or to switch groups. Only option would be a lateral move. I am technically a rising third year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 316488
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Escape from New York

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is no options to move within firm or to switch groups. Only option would be a lateral move. I am technically a rising third year.


Are you at Weil/ke? I know at least one of those has a restructuring person or two in cali.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.