Santa Barbara?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Santa Barbara?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:44 pm

I really want to break into the Santa Barbara market as it seems like an awesome place to live. A small city with all the stores and restaurants of a big city. But from what I can tell, it looks like a small legal market that is difficult to get into. Does anyone have any intel here, I realized it's not discussed much on the TLS. I know there are a couple of universities there, with UCSB being the biggest, which I didn't realize is the 3rd best California public school (I thought it was UC Davis or UCSD), so I imagine there are quite a few start ups there that need legal services, or if they just go to LA. And I wonder if the lawyers there make enough to afford houses in Santa Barbara.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Santa Barbara?

Postby SmokeytheBear » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Anecdotally, one of the bigger industries in SB is wine and agriculture. If you can find a foothold in that kind of law, that's an option.

UCSB is a big school, but it's not the right size of research institution to create a local start up economy.

A handful of larger firms used to have outposts in SB, but not much anymore. Those that did staffed them with attorneys who had weekend houses in SB or who had semi-retired. It's a great town with a university, but it's not like north county SD, where there was a history of aerospace that has helped the area continue to push innovation.

SFSpartan

Bronze

Re: Santa Barbara?

Postby SFSpartan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Taking a look at the firms in Santa Barbara, I'd bet the market there is focused on the needs of the wine and agriculture industries, as well as local small businesses. Looking at the websites of firms there, the work appears less sophisticated/complex than what you would get at a large firm.

SB is a good school, but to my knowledge, doesn't have tons and tons of startup activity as an absolute matter. Additionally, I would bet that most VC-backed startups coming out of SB retain a firm in LA, given that it is not far from SB. The region in general probably isn't big enough to sustain a large startup economy.

Return to “Legal Employment�