Boies Schiller Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Boies Schiller

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There's a summer in a Cali Boies office who transferred from WUSTL -> T14. He wasn't top 10% I don't think, and WUSTL isn't even a T14.
Counterpoint: I transferred from WUSTL to HYS and was basically ignored during by screener for NYC Boies. Was the only interview I had where I felt that I was immediately eliminated from contention before I even walked in the room.

Based on the hours I've heard about for the NY office - sounds like I dodged a bullet.
On the flip side, I interviewed at HLS with 3 DS / 4 H and never heard from them. Based on other interviews, I don't have reason to believe I'm a poor interviewer. I think Boies may just scrutinize firm-specific interest closely; I doubt I gave a good answer there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There's a summer in a Cali Boies office who transferred from WUSTL -> T14. He wasn't top 10% I don't think, and WUSTL isn't even a T14.
Counterpoint: I transferred from WUSTL to HYS and was basically ignored during by screener for NYC Boies. Was the only interview I had where I felt that I was immediately eliminated from contention before I even walked in the room.

Based on the hours I've heard about for the NY office - sounds like I dodged a bullet.
On the flip side, I interviewed at HLS with 3 DS / 4 H and never heard from them. Based on other interviews, I don't have reason to believe I'm a poor interviewer. I think Boies may just scrutinize firm-specific interest closely; I doubt I gave a good answer there.
This is feeder clerk level so yeah It's definitely not your grades that weren't enough lmao. You probably didn't convince them you'd take them over Susman/Keker/Kellogg/MTO/W&C/etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:17 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I know someone who worked there. He said that 3,000 hours a year was very normal at Boies. At our big law firm (Nyc) 3,000 hours is being one of the top 5-10 billers in a 200 attorney office.
Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of (OP here). My other firm options are W&C and Covington, which aren't exactly known for work-life balance, but still aren't making people bill 3,000 hours. :/

However, I've heard that most associates are closer to 2300 in D.C., and don't really get any non-billable work, so they can bill more efficiently. I'm curious whether this is true...? My impression of the D.C. office was that a lot of people had kids and were able to work from home, so face time doesn't seem to be a problem.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of (OP here). My other firm options are W&C and Covington, which aren't exactly known for work-life balance, but still aren't making people bill 3,000 hours. :/
I know W&C is considered a bit of a sweatshop, but I've always heard decent things about Covington's work/life balance (to the extent that any biglaw firm really has that). Is that a misconception?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:45 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, this is what I'm afraid of (OP here). My other firm options are W&C and Covington, which aren't exactly known for work-life balance, but still aren't making people bill 3,000 hours. :/
I know W&C is considered a bit of a sweatshop, but I've always heard decent things about Covington's work/life balance (to the extent that any biglaw firm really has that). Is that a misconception?
Sorry, I just meant the big law hours in general aren't exactly "lifestyle," but they're still not 2500 hours per year.

I guess my main issue is - I liked Covington, I loved the people, and I feel like it's a great fit for me, but I feel like it's crazy to turn down Boies Schiller since I want to do lit. I'm just wondering how true the rumors are about Boies's hours (for the D.C. office), and if it's crazy to pick lifestyle over prestige/opportunity in this situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:However, I've heard that most associates are closer to 2300 in D.C., and don't really get any non-billable work, so they can bill more efficiently. I'm curious whether this is true...? My impression of the D.C. office was that a lot of people had kids and were able to work from home, so face time doesn't seem to be a problem.
Current BSF DC associate here. That's basically right--2300 hours is well within the normal range. Pushing above that typically takes a lengthy trial or an expedited case, on top of an already busy year. Many of the midlevels and seniors (including me) in the DC office have young kids and can stick to a family routine more often than not. The ability to work from home without judgment really helps with that; it's normal to put in a full day at the office, spend time with your family at home, and then as necessary get back online after putting the kids to bed.

Something else to consider is that your hours may vary a lot more between years at a given firm, than they will between different firms. That's to say, because hours depend on so many things beyond your control and that are more specific to the cases and partners than the firm, your hours in your year may well be lower at BSF than at another firm. The difference is that if your hours in a given year end up especially high, at BSF you're compensated accordingly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:31 am

Wellsfargowagon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:However, I've heard that most associates are closer to 2300 in D.C., and don't really get any non-billable work, so they can bill more efficiently. I'm curious whether this is true...? My impression of the D.C. office was that a lot of people had kids and were able to work from home, so face time doesn't seem to be a problem.
Current BSF DC associate here. That's basically right--2300 hours is well within the normal range. Pushing above that typically takes a lengthy trial or an expedited case, on top of an already busy year. Many of the midlevels and seniors (including me) in the DC office have young kids and can stick to a family routine more often than not. The ability to work from home without judgment really helps with that; it's normal to put in a full day at the office, spend time with your family at home, and then as necessary get back online after putting the kids to bed.

Something else to consider is that your hours may vary a lot more between years at a given firm, than they will between different firms. That's to say, because hours depend on so many things beyond your control and that are more specific to the cases and partners than the firm, your hours in your year may well be lower at BSF than at another firm. The difference is that if your hours in a given year end up especially high, at BSF you're compensated accordingly.
Hi! Would you mind if I PM you?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:05 pm

Would Boies hire to their NY office off a federal clerkship (SDNY/2nd Cir), or do they stick to their summers?

Wellsfargowagon

Bronze

Post by Wellsfargowagon » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi! Would you mind if I PM you?
Of course not! Ask away.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”