Fired from biglaw this week Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
obx

New

Re: Fired from biglaw this week

Post by obx » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the exact same situation as OP. Is it acceptable to maintain that I am still employed by the firm?

I think that is consensus, especially if still in firm website and paid.

Hope everyone lands on their feet. Seems to me going by tls anecdotes that there is an uptick in layoffs.
It sounds like it. I got the impression that I wasn't the only person at my firm that this happened to.
Obviously no pressure, but if you felt comfortable PMing me the firm, I would be very grateful. I am at a "v20, maybe higher" firm, and have heard rumblings. Concerned about my hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 am

I'm one of the laid off guys and from what I understand, there have been at least 2 rounds of layoffs at my firm. Those guys are fucking fucks and I hate them. But I will probably still ask some of them for references and advice later on in my career, so I gotta play nice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm one of the laid off guys and from what I understand, there have been at least 2 rounds of layoffs at my firm. Those guys are fucking fucks and I hate them. But I will probably still ask some of them for references and advice later on in my career, so I gotta play nice.
I'm sorry to hear.

There's a partner at my small satellite office that has almost no business. However, he's made himself unfirable (I think) by playing a key role in management. I think this is unfair because its made it extremely tough for associates in his office to get work - they have to do so by reaching out to partners in other offices who may or may not know them.

It sucks that associates are penalized for bad work on the partners' parts.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:i had the same thing happen to me recently. I was at Sidley.
Can you provide any details? Class year? Practice? I'm also at Sidley and thought that this was fairly uncommon. Thanks for any additional details.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm one of the laid off guys and from what I understand, there have been at least 2 rounds of layoffs at my firm. Those guys are fucking fucks and I hate them. But I will probably still ask some of them for references and advice later on in my career, so I gotta play nice.
I'm sorry to hear.

There's a partner at my small satellite office that has almost no business. However, he's made himself unfirable (I think) by playing a key role in management. I think this is unfair because its made it extremely tough for associates in his office to get work - they have to do so by reaching out to partners in other offices who may or may not know them.

OP here - I'm not in a small satellite office, but that's essentially my situation. I spent a LOT of time reaching out to partners in other offices trying to get work. In hindsight, I really should have just flown out to these other offices at my own expense and tried to build relationships that way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm sorry to hear.

OP here - I'm not in a small satellite office, but that's essentially my situation. I spent a LOT of time reaching out to partners in other offices trying to get work. In hindsight, I really should have just flown out to these other offices at my own expense and tried to build relationships that way.
Don't blame yourself too much for it. IP lit outside of ANDA work is really slow from what I hear. Another issue is that the IP groups overhired during the smartphone wars era, and a lot of that work has wound down. And, as discussed, partners not being proactive enough about getting work is a serious problem sometimes imho. I mean, that one partner in my small office doesn't seem to even try much. I sense he's gonna get the boot at some point, but that doesn't help me either (unless they hire a better partner to replace him).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP again. I appreciate everyone's responses - they're very helpful.
Anonymous User wrote:OP, pretty sure I am that the same firm as you and got the same "talk"
It's possible. It's possible that I said "V20" to preserve anonymity - my soon to be former firm could just as easily be higher than that. :)
Yup, same here...but the timing and severance process you described above is pretty unique.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 am

If I was told I have until the end of October to find a job and will be paid till then but no severance, is it the standard assumption that I don't need to show up everyday during this period?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:04 am

Yes. I stopped going in once I got the talk. I occasionally work from home to transition my projects, but I see no reason to go into the office.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:If I was told I have until the end of October to find a job and will be paid till then but no severance, is it the standard assumption that I don't need to show up everyday during this period?
Why would you, unless you're trying to hide that you've been fired? They can tell you to come in later, but let your firm make that decision. They probably don't want you coming in, anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:If I was told I have until the end of October to find a job and will be paid till then but no severance, is it the standard assumption that I don't need to show up everyday during this period?
Usually not, although if you have a good relationship with certain partners and they can help you find other positions or mentor you through the transition, it may be worth it to continue to work with / meet with those partners so you can keep up the relationship.

It's also an opportunity to go on vacations without burning up vacation time. You'll still be paid for unused vacation time at the end.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:35 am

I am surprised about the advice of not going in. The entire point of this exercise is to make the stealth layoff look like a voluntary departure. If you are not showing up you are not keeping appearances. Your office mates might notice, they might have friends at the firm you end up going, they might mention you disappearance etc. maybe take vacation time and spend it in the city doing full time search but just completely not showing up seems a bit off to me unless told or implied not to show up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:45 am

Pokemon wrote:I am surprised about the advice of not going in. The entire point of this exercise is to make the stealth layoff look like a voluntary departure. If you are not showing up you are not keeping appearances. Your office mates might notice, they might have friends at the firm you end up going, they might mention you disappearance etc. maybe take vacation time and spend it in the city doing full time search but just completely not showing up seems a bit off to me unless told or implied not to show up.
Yeah, there's some benefit to staying in the office. It helps creature more structure in your life, and it helps hide the impending departure. But there is a real mental cost to being around your coworkers while you know you're on your way out, and I wasn't willing to pay it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:55 am

Post OP. Maybe the firm still wants to milk whatever they can get? HR told me the number of paid vacation days will be the same as usual, hence the confusion. Also in my case they gave me the choice between mutual termination with severance vs. resignation on my part without severance, and I chose the latter.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:56 am

Deleted for wrong button...

M458

Bronze

Post by M458 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:i had the same thing happen to me recently. I was at Sidley.
Can you provide any details? Class year? Practice? I'm also at Sidley and thought that this was fairly uncommon. Thanks for any additional details.
Come on, man - I get you being concerned but you're asking class year and practice on top of already knowing which firm. Might as well just ask his/her name while you're at it.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:04 pm

I would definitely ask for more severance. Like at least a month. The worst thing they can do is say, "no." Also, apply for unemployment now, if you can.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”