School Year Positions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
akjim101

New

School Year Positions

Postby akjim101 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:31 pm

My wife and I are in the process of buying a house, and although we can "afford it" on paper, I'm a little nervous about the budget and am looking at getting a part time job during the school year. Of course, I would love for it to be a legal job, I spent 5 years teaching before coming to law school so other than my current SA position, my resume is all teaching related. I would love to have something else besides my current position to indicate that I've done legal work.

The problem I'm facing is there aren't too terribly many paid school year positions. I have found a few through my schools Symplicity page and applied for them (even though they're not in areas that I have any interest in). Does anyone have advice on where else I can look for positions? Thanks

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: School Year Positions

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:35 pm

Is your school located in a large/medium city? If so, shoot off some emails to local firms - I'll bet plenty of them hire clerks during the school year. Don't expect to be paid much...but every little bit counts.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Postby Roy McAvoy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:12 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Is your school located in a large/medium city? If so, shoot off some emails to local firms - I'll bet plenty of them hire clerks during the school year. Don't expect to be paid much...but every little bit counts.

Correct. You should be able to find something in the $15-25 per hr range. Don't know what your options would be if you're in a small city, college town, etc.

WhiskeyAndCupcakes

Silver

Postby WhiskeyAndCupcakes » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Researching for a professor should also net you 15-20 an hour, depending on your school.

acr

Silver

Postby acr » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:25 pm

WhiskeyAndCupcakes wrote:Researching for a professor should also net you 15-20 an hour, depending on your school.

Yeah, this is the way I would go. Flexible hours, (probably) interesting work, opportunity to build strong relationship with professor, decent pay, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment�