Appropriate to put merger value on resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Appropriate to put merger value on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Worked as an SA on a merger for 15 hours or so total, over the course of 2-3 assignments. The deal was quite large in size ($$), and I am wondering whether it is appropriate to put this on my resume -- e.g., ''revised voting agreement, merger agreement, and did some bs on $500M merger''

Not doing it for "prestige," but rather to show that the things I worked on were important, and I was delegated at least some meaningful responsibility/had exposure to significant projects.

Anonymous User

Re: Appropriate to put merger value on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Worked as an SA on a merger for 15 hours or so total, over the course of 2-3 assignments. The deal was quite large in size ($$), and I am wondering whether it is appropriate to put this on my resume -- e.g., ''revised voting agreement, merger agreement, and did some bs on $500M merger''

Not doing it for "prestige," but rather to show that the things I worked on were important, and I was delegated at least some meaningful responsibility/had exposure to significant projects.

I do it. Though I have it like $10B+ merger, rather than a specific dollar amount.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Thanks -- I did a specific dollar amount since the deal is public, so I didn't think there were privacy conerns

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Worked as an SA on a merger for 15 hours or so total, over the course of 2-3 assignments. The deal was quite large in size ($$), and I am wondering whether it is appropriate to put this on my resume -- e.g., ''revised voting agreement, merger agreement, and did some bs on $500M merger''

I wouldn't do that for a summer associate position. Or any other position. I've done a couple big mergers but I don't put them on my resume because that seems gauche to me. But I may be wrong about that. Would be interested to see what others have to say.

BlueParrot

New

Postby BlueParrot » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:04 am

Maybe this should be obvious to me, but are you a 3L or already practicing? I have seen people put dollar amounts in their resumes- not sure what the consensus on it is though. If you worked at a large firm, people should know it was a decent sized deal though.

I can't speak for juniors, but corporate midlevel/senior associates often do a separate deal sheet which will list each deal they've worked on and typically its size.

takeseven

New

Postby takeseven » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Yeah this is fine. I'm a mid-level M&A associate and I have deal values on my deal sheet, though mostly as a range (e.g. "represented private equity client in $1.5b+ acquisition of X company"). The important thing is just to not specify party names for non-public transactions, especially if you're going to list deal value.

Return to “Legal Employment�