Appellate OCI Interview Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nebby

Diamond

Re: Appellate OCI Interview Advice

Postby Nebby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Don't Go Hard for Appellate.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:23 pm

What draws you to appellate practice so strongly?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Nebby wrote:What draws you to appellate practice so strongly?

^^

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Postby Mr. Blackacre » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Paul Clement is very good-looking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:28 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:29 pm

OP, you're intolerable. Please don't apply to work at my firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:33 pm

zhenders wrote:OP, you're intolerable. Please don't apply to work at my firm.

Okay! Where do you work?

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I love the law in an abstract sense, the long term plan is to go into academia, much more interested in abstract legal problems and the types of modalities we can use to answer them than in factual disputes, I did debate and a lot of appellate argumentation is a natural extension of things which are second nature to me at this point and make intuitive sense, I've enjoyed at a fairly deep level everything appellate I've done, my interests in the longterm lie in Constitutional Law.

And Paul Clement is good looking.

What you've described is only about 15% of appellate lit. Most of appellate lit is using the record to construct a coherent argument in support of or against the district court opinion. Only when you're suing the government or defending the government do you ever really get to anything resembling what you've described. You should think strategically and long term. Only post-SCOTUS clerks will be able to work on those cases early in their career. That's why I recommended not to gun for Appellate, rather pick a firm where you have the ability to gain exposure and prove yourself elsewhere in order to move exclusively into appellate practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I love the law in an abstract sense, the long term plan is to go into academia, much more interested in abstract legal problems and the types of modalities we can use to answer them than in factual disputes, I did debate and a lot of appellate argumentation is a natural extension of things which are second nature to me at this point and make intuitive sense, I've enjoyed at a fairly deep level everything appellate I've done, my interests in the longterm lie in Constitutional Law.

And Paul Clement is good looking.

What you've described is only about 15% of appellate lit. Most of appellate lit is using the record to construct a coherent argument in support of or against the district court opinion. Only when you're suing the government or defending the government do you ever really get to anything resembling what you've described. You should think strategically and long term. Only post-SCOTUS clerks will be able to work on those cases early in their career. That's why I recommended not to gun for Appellate, rather pick a firm where you have the ability to gain exposure and prove yourself elsewhere in order to move exclusively into appellate practice.

Really helpful, thank you!

Yup. Basically, I think the anon poster below really hit on the head what I'm talking about:

Anonymous User wrote:When you interview with Gibson, Kirkland, etc., it could make sense to highlight the open market assignment system as a plus and say that you are drawn to that because you want to do appellate litigation as part of your practice. I think it's easier to get staffed on an appeal in a firm with less rigid practice groups/assignment mechanisms. Then, if you do good work, you might get more. I would be clear that you are interested in appellate but be realistic about the fact that your practice will probably also include some trial-level stuff.

Also, I think trial court litigation experience will ultimately make you a better appellate attorney, because there are always abstract legal questions that arise throughout litigation. A trial level case I'm on recently ordered supplemental briefing on a pure question of law and the final product read like an appellate brief since facts did not matter as much in this particular issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:57 pm

Return to “Legal Employment�