Writing sample for lateral interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Writing sample for lateral interview

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:56 pm

Know that some variation of this has been asked before but whatever. Have a lateral interview tommorow. While the firm has not asked yet, I'm sure a writing sample will be required at some point, but I can't really get one right now bc it would tip off my employer. I don't want to do anything unethical here. I have an msj that I 100% drafted that is filed in federal court. However, the partner signed it--not me (although my name is on it). It also has a typo I noticed earlier. Most importantly, I'm worried about using literally anything without the firm's permission. It seems like all I have to work with is an article I wrote 2L year and something from when I was a 2L summer. What do I do?

kykiske

Bronze

Re: Writing sample for lateral interview

Post by kykiske » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:38 pm

I am curious to hear folks' input on this topic as well. Of course, you want to be 120% ethical. But if you're the primary author of a MSJ, your name appears on it, and you redact the party names, case no., etc., what is unethical about using it as a writing sample?

To be candid, I don't know the laws surrounding ownership over work-product. Does the firm own the pleading? Or, does the client own the pleading? I don't know. But my gut tells me that the client owns the pleading, and the firm will have a policy in which you're not allowed to use the pleading without permission.

How have others navigated these issues? The other issue is that if you're a practicing attorney, using a sample from law school just reflects poorly.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm interested too honestly. I think this came up in a previous thread maybe within the last few months, which I'm too busy to really take the time to search for, where people debated whether it's ethical to use a public pleading as a writing sample. I mean, I guess if I needed to be safe, I could go on Westlaw and print out one of my appellate briefs that show up there. Shouldn't be any problem, right? I mean it'd just be like, "Hey look, my name is on this, and I got it from a totally public source that everybody who pays a couple dollars can access."

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:54 pm

lolwat wrote:I'm interested too honestly. I think this came up in a previous thread maybe within the last few months, which I'm too busy to really take the time to search for, where people debated whether it's ethical to use a public pleading as a writing sample. I mean, I guess if I needed to be safe, I could go on Westlaw and print out one of my appellate briefs that show up there. Shouldn't be any problem, right? I mean it'd just be like, "Hey look, my name is on this, and I got it from a totally public source that everybody who pays a couple dollars can access."
I remember that one too. I recall there were two camps of thought: (1) believed that once something is publicly filed, it's fair game; (2) even if something is publicly filed, you need to redact any possibly identifying information concerning the parties.

But I do not recall any discussion concerning the ethics of using a writing sample while at firm A in trying to get a job at firm B.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”