Practice Groups for Bank / PE In House

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Gunner19

New

Practice Groups for Bank / PE In House

Postby Gunner19 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Definitely putting the cart before the horse here, but I was hoping some of those already in BL / in house could offer some insight. At this point the goal is to grind out a few years big law and hopefully land something in house at a bank / PE / hedge fund. Yes I realize this wont be a cake walk. What I was really wondering was what practice groups (and lit v. transactional) would lend themselves best towards landing one of these in house gigs. I was assuming finance or financial institutions work but recently read somewhere that these groups are among the worst for exit options. Would appreciate any insight!

v5junior

Bronze

Re: Practice Groups for Bank / PE In House

Postby v5junior » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Sort of depends what exactly you want to do at the bank / PE firm / hedge fund, but at the latter two, the biggest % of in house jobs by far go to former fund formation associates.

boredtodeath

Silver

Postby boredtodeath » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Echoing the above poster, it definitely depends on what you want to do at the bank/fund. From my experience with PE funds, the majority of their lawyers will be former fund formation associates, but, at least at the junior level, they do almost the same job they did at the law firm. Then they'll usually have a former M&A guy as the GC and a bunch of senior former fund/compliance lawyers as deputy GCs, etc.

Gunner19

New

Postby Gunner19 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:58 pm

boredtodeath wrote:Echoing the above poster, it definitely depends on what you want to do at the bank/fund. From my experience with PE funds, the majority of their lawyers will be former fund formation associates, but, at least at the junior level, they do almost the same job they did at the law firm. Then they'll usually have a former M&A guy as the GC and a bunch of senior former fund/compliance lawyers as deputy GCs, etc.
v5junior wrote:Sort of depends what exactly you want to do at the bank / PE firm / hedge fund, but at the latter two, the biggest % of in house jobs by far go to former fund formation associates.

Full disclosure I know very little about these positions as I'm more focused on getting big law in the first place right now. But I had assumed once you went in house everyone was just general counsel or something similar to that. Seems like you're telling me the route to in house at a bank and in house at a fund / PE are pretty different?

Return to “Legal Employment�