"Mature" Rising 2L Seeks OCI Advice

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Mature" Rising 2L Seeks OCI Advice

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:47 pm

Top 5% at T50-60 school, LR, several years of business experience, age 40ish. Focused primarily on SF markets, which tend to have small summer classes. Already bid for OCI, but wondering if anyone has advice on which firms may respond more favorably to an older candidate and for which it would be a deal breaker. My nightmare scenario would be to accept a 2L SA position and be non-offered next year because they really prefer to hire 20 somethings.

Interested in general litigation, employment, antitrust, white collar.

RaceJudicata

Re: "Mature" Rising 2L Seeks OCI Advice

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:57 pm

You won't get no-offered because of your age. Getting a SA offer might be more challenging - but I'll defer to folks who have been through OCI as an older student.

Mickfromgm

Re: "Mature" Rising 2L Seeks OCI Advice

Postby Mickfromgm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:14 pm

You might be overthinking this, though I totally understand where you are coming from. Every firm makes a summer associate hiring decision as though they were hiring a full associate . . . . because they *expect* to make an offer to almost everyone in the summer class (94.4% in 2016). Stated another way, if they select you to be a SA, it generally means that they are fully prepared to offer you a permanent position; therefore, by extending a summer offer to you, they have decided that the firm would like to have the 40-ish you as a full associate (as long as they don't uncover any extraordinary issues over the summer.)

Listen, unlike diversity hires, no firm has a real incentive to hire older students to boost some NALP numbers. They don't have to take any. But they do, because they see benefits in hiring someone with more work or life experience or, simply, they don't really care about the age (at least for people like you, who are in their late 30's or early 40's -- as opposed to someone who is 55 years old or something). My experience bears that out, too.

Because different individuals are involved, I don't think you can really say a particular firm is more friendly to older students than law firms in general.

If I were you, once I have offers, I would talk to lawyers at the firm who came into law as a second or third career and get their thoughts on the firm. If they were summer associates at that firm, then you would know that the firm had extended an offer to them!

Congrats on doing well in law school. You have a bright future ahead of you! Good luck.

Return to “Legal Employment”