State SG Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

State SG Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Hey all,

I have an interview coming up this Friday for an internship in my state SG's office. Has anyone done anything like this, have any advice on unique questions they might ask, etc?

And any experience on what such an internship might entail? I understand it varies state-to-state - my state's office generally just handles civil appeals and amicus briefs.

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: State SG Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Guessing you already know this, but: state SGs have gotten pretty political in recent years, doing a lot of work to challenge federal policies (if the AG's not of the same party as the president) or defend them through amicus briefs/intervention (if the AG's of the same party as the president). Many state SGs are young ex-SCOTUS clerk types with clear ideological bona fides one way or the other. They may be looking for the same, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were asked about ideology. May even be helpful to bring it up-I wouldn't start the interview by exclaiming #resist or #MAGA, but if you could do it carefully, it may be a good idea. Also, if your political leanings aren't in line with those of the AG, think carefully about whether you want the job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Guessing you already know this, but: state SGs have gotten pretty political in recent years, doing a lot of work to challenge federal policies (if the AG's not of the same party as the president) or defend them through amicus briefs/intervention (if the AG's of the same party as the president). Many state SGs are young ex-SCOTUS clerk types with clear ideological bona fides one way or the other. They may be looking for the same, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were asked about ideology. May even be helpful to bring it up-I wouldn't start the interview by exclaiming #resist or #MAGA, but if you could do it carefully, it may be a good idea. Also, if your political leanings aren't in line with those of the AG, think carefully about whether you want the job.

OP here.

Thanks for this - luckily my politics (roughly) match the AG's (who appointed the SG, obviously) and I have a job on my resume that makes that clear, so I have an opening to discuss. It's good to know I shouldn't shy away from it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Guessing you already know this, but: state SGs have gotten pretty political in recent years, doing a lot of work to challenge federal policies (if the AG's not of the same party as the president) or defend them through amicus briefs/intervention (if the AG's of the same party as the president). Many state SGs are young ex-SCOTUS clerk types with clear ideological bona fides one way or the other. They may be looking for the same, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were asked about ideology. May even be helpful to bring it up-I wouldn't start the interview by exclaiming #resist or #MAGA, but if you could do it carefully, it may be a good idea. Also, if your political leanings aren't in line with those of the AG, think carefully about whether you want the job.

OP here.

Thanks for this - luckily my politics (roughly) match the AG's (who appointed the SG, obviously) and I have a job on my resume that makes that clear, so I have an opening to discuss. It's good to know I shouldn't shy away from it.

Good. Again, I'd do it in a nuanced way--even in a highly political section of a state AG's office like the SG, there's a certain ethos of nonpartisan defense of the people's interests--but making clear that you share the office's politics is probably way more important than it would be if you were applying for an internship in the claims unit. If you're asked something like "why this office?" you could maybe say something like "I admired the work you did to defend the interests of the people of State X against the threat of Obama/Trump Policy Y. As you can see, that issue is important to me because of Resume Item Z."

(not a state SG intern, but interned for an "aggressive" state AG in a section that did politically adjacent work)

Return to “Legal Employment”