Thompson & Knight (Dallas)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
KijiStewart

Thompson & Knight (Dallas)

Postby KijiStewart » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:04 pm

I plan on mass mailing on Monday (goal for securities litigation - but any litigation is cool).

No geographic ties, but I worked on a case with a Dallas partner this past summer (well indirectly - the senior associate at my firm dealt with their partner but I did work that was presented to the Dallas partner).

I assume I have two somewhat exclusive options: A) E-mail the partner directly (leaning towards this so we can discuss the file etc - this cannot violate my firm's confidentiality policy can it?) B) E-mail recruiting directly.

Thoughts?

Feel free to DM.

favabeansoup

Re: Thompson & Knight (Dallas)

Postby favabeansoup » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:59 pm

KijiStewart wrote:I plan on mass mailing on Monday (goal for securities litigation - but any litigation is cool).

No geographic ties, but I worked on a case with a Dallas partner this past summer (well indirectly - the senior associate at my firm dealt with their partner but I did work that was presented to the Dallas partner).

I assume I have two somewhat exclusive options: A) E-mail the partner directly (leaning towards this so we can discuss the file etc - this cannot violate my firm's confidentiality policy can it?) B) E-mail recruiting directly.

Thoughts?

Feel free to DM.

Email the partner directly to ask about firm/culture/etc. Try to set up a time to talk on phone with him. Working on the same thing, even indirectly, is a good way to avoid the awkward cold open hello. Ideally, after talking about the firm for awhile he would then ask for your information to send to recruiting himself (usually this could get you to screener stage if your grades are also decent). If he doesn't, send your info to recruiting directly and add in some lines that you've talked to so and so about the firm and that's why you are applying. Gives you more credibility.

Don't just cold email the partner your resume and cover letter, and don't give it to him unless he asks for it. He's not your recruiting secretary to shuffle around your application unless he wants to do it.

Return to “Legal Employment”