NY Times Article-The Lawyer, the Addict Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: NY Times Article-The Lawyer, the Addict

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Yep, though not just during work hours. Last football season I'd throw $500 on the 1pm games, then would chase losses all the way through the primetime tourneys which imo are a complete crapshoot. This transformed into betting on/playing draftkings NHL/NBA every night, then baseball when summer rolled around, then random bursts of online blackjack. I basically wrecked my bank account and felt like complete shit after big losing sessions. I have no idea what I was thinking. These sessions have become more rare since I've recognized that it was becoming a huge problem (not just financially) but I still slip up every once in a while.
My wife (also a biglaw lawyer) and I go to AC almost every month to get that sweet craps high. I consider it an adult arcade - i.e., I don't go to win, but to play. We're also not spending baller money. That's pretty much how I justify to myself that it's okay. I also dabble in draftkings, but I can't really compete with the pros so never got addicted to it. I can see it getting dangerous though - usually a big loss will set me straight. You're doing $500 per week (assuming its Football)? That seems like a lot.

I'm the first anon who posted about gambling. I'm in every day mode on draftkings MLB right now which is slowly turning into a disaster. My mindset whenever I run into a horrible 70-80 hour billable week like I am now is I'm gonna spike 1st place, quit biglaw and become a pro LOL only to shoot myself in the foot financially and extend the amount of time I need to stay in biglaw rather than saving and developing an actual plan for an exit like a reasonable adult. The sad thing is when I was in college I actually had the head for poker and stats etc. but being a lawyer has legit made me dumber in that regard and has taken all my time so I have no chance of competing with the pros and should just accept that and either play small/for fun or quit entirely. Probably going to need to end up quitting entirely. It's incredibly dangerous that it's on my phone and I can literally punch in my lineups with one hand and review/mark-up documents with my other hand with my office door closed with no physical effects to me or anyone in my life knowing any different.
I hear you about quitting entirely. It's a hard thing to moderate and it makes money seem like a figment of the imagination (e.g. losing $500 on draftkings doesn't feel like losing 5 weeks worth of groceries or whatever).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”