Typical In-House Salary Package for Junior Lawyer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Yugihoe

Silver

Re: Typical In-House Salary Package for Junior Lawyer?

Postby Yugihoe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here -- offer did end up coming through (hallelujah!), so thought it'd be helpful to include this as an additional data point since this position is not in CA/NYC.

$150k base
$37.5k bonus (variable; pegged to performance of the company)
$30k in RSUs and options
$20k sign-on bonus
6% 401k match

OP - Congrats on the offer.

Am I correct with the math then that your total package is around $225k/year (not including the sign-on bonus)?

I'm going through the process, having only been in biglaw for about 16 months, and wondering what I should expect (market is NY/Chi/SF/LA/DC).

Very interested in your outcome, 16-month biglaw anon and hearing more responses to this question. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:14 pm

I went in house about a year ago as a fifth year in a midwestern tertiary city.

165k base
20% target bonus (paid slightly more more than 20% last three years)
25k signing bonus
35k relocation lump sum
5% 401k match

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:41 am

Yugihoe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here -- offer did end up coming through (hallelujah!), so thought it'd be helpful to include this as an additional data point since this position is not in CA/NYC.

$150k base
$30k in RSUs and options
$20k sign-on bonus
6% 401k match

Am I correct with the math then that your total package is around $225k/year (not including the sign-on bonus)?

I'm going through the process, having only been in biglaw for about 16 months, and wondering what I should expect (market is NY/Chi/SF/LA/DC).

Very interested in your outcome, 16-month biglaw anon and hearing more responses to this question. Good luck.

Not 16 month biglaw anon but I started looking around that level and started really applying in earnest about 2 years in and I'm still looking over one year later. I've probably got almost 30 interviews, including screeners, and no offers. Only a handful or so has gone to a late stage. I'm a pretty bad interviewer but it's also difficult. I'm pretty sure there are several other associates around my class year at my firm who have been trying for a similar amount of time with similar results.

That being said, I did discuss comp with a few places and it seems like they're looking for something like $160-170K (base) for 1-2 years in, going up to more like $170-190K (base) once you are like 2-4 years in. Years here mean years worked not class years. That's plus a 5-15% cash bonus, often matching 401Ks (but not always) and a big song and dance on the value of equity. With a public company the RSUs can be another $15-40K on top. Public companies don't hire many junior associates though (at least in the Bay Area) so I didn't get many shots at that until recently.

This is Bay Area tech but I think big expensive markets are probably pretty close but maybe with slightly better cash bonuses and less equity singing and dancing. That's admittedly based on a limited data set, and you may be able to get higher, but I feel pretty good about those ranges personally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Yugihoe wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

$150k base
$30k in RSUs and options
$20k sign-on bonus
6% 401k match

Not 16 month biglaw anon but I started looking around that level and started really applying in earnest about 2 years in and I'm still looking over one year later. I've probably got almost 30 interviews, including screeners, and no offers. Only a handful or so has gone to a late stage. I'm a pretty bad interviewer but it's also difficult. I'm pretty sure there are several other associates around my class year at my firm who have been trying for a similar amount of time with similar results.

That being said, I did discuss comp with a few places and it seems like they're looking for something like $160-170K (base) for 1-2 years in, going up to more like $170-190K (base) once you are like 2-4 years in. Years here mean years worked not class years. That's plus a 5-15% cash bonus, often matching 401Ks (but not always) and a big song and dance on the value of equity. With a public company the RSUs can be another $15-40K on top. Public companies don't hire many junior associates though (at least in the Bay Area) so I didn't get many shots at that until recently.

This is Bay Area tech but I think big expensive markets are probably pretty close but maybe with slightly better cash bonuses and less equity singing and dancing. That's admittedly based on a limited data set, and you may be able to get higher, but I feel pretty good about those ranges personally.

Where are you looking for/finding job postings that are so junior? Not having much luck on LinkedIn, etc.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:57 am

Anons going in house after 1.5-2 years, are you tech trans? I've only ever heard of tech trans going in house that early @ that salary.

Return to “Legal Employment�