Should I take the inhouse offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I take the inhouse offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:37 am

I am considering an inhouse offer right now. I've worked 2 years inhouse and 3 years at a biglaw firm. I started inhouse and my inhouse experience was mostly in tech transactions and data privacy. My first 1-2 years in the biglaw firm were in corporate and the last 1.5 years I worked in tech transactions and privacy.

Recently I've been looking to relocate to a different market. I just received an inhouse offer for a Sr. corp counsel position with a total pay package of around ~170-180k. The only downside is that the company isn't a huge F500 company (more midcap) and work is mostly in tech transactions and that there will be a lot less privacy work (the company isn't consumer facing).

My worry is that privacy is so hot right now, I would really be selling myself short by taking the offer due to the fact that the company isn't consumer facing. However, I know someone who works at the company and the company is a great place to work and the pay doesnt seem bad. In addition, they also have flex work that allows employees to work from home 2-3 days a week (from what I hear, people in Legal actually use it). I've applied for a few privacy positions and I got interviews for every single one. The issue has been that the jobs have all been outside of the place that I want to relocate to.

Return to “Legal Employment�